Saturday, August 17, 2013

**Sidekick Showcase #7**


Sidekick Showcase (previously known as Sidekick Saturday) is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fits in this week's type
• Share a picture (if possible) and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• Put your link in the Linky thing and comment


**********************************


This week, Jaclyn is making us pick a sidekick character who is
Not Who They Say They Are


I had a lot of trouble with this one, y'all. I couldn't decide how to interpret the topic! ;) So I'm actually going with the literal this week and I'm picking a series I haven't ever talked about on my blog...only because I read all but one before I started blogging. I love this series though...it's populated with lots of great characters, has great plots, AND it's set in Austin, Texas! :) Tantalize is a YA paranormal series with a little something for everyone.


My pick this week is:



Bradley Sanguini ne Henry Johnson 

from Cynthia Leitich Smith's Tantalize Series

Henry Johnson is hired at Sanguini's at a time when the restaurant was floundering. Quincie P. Morris, the young woman to whom the restaurant belongs, is trying to revitalize Sanguini's. It was her parents' restaurant and she wants to save this piece of them. With a little brainstorming, the idea of a theme restaurant is decided on. Sanguini's is going to be a gothic-themed restaurant...vampire-style fare served. And Henry Johnson, now know as Bradley Sanguini, is the new star chef. In Bradley's defense, he does become the 'Dark Lord' in order to turn Sanguini's into a culinary and business success. However, his new public persona isn't the only way in which he's not who he says he is. I can't let y'all in on that bit of info...you'll just have to read the books for yourselves. :)

Bradley is one of those characters you can't decide if you love or hate...he has some redeeming qualities but he has ulterior motives and he's sneaky and not too forthcoming. See what I mean?


*********************************

"Red is more sophisticated," Johnson replied. "Like you, sophisticated for your years but sure to improve with time."  
--Henry Johnson ne Bradley Sanguini to Quincie, Tantalize


****

I bristled. "If you're talking about were-people--"...

"They aren't people," Brad added. "They are not and have never been human beings. It's that form, Miss Morris, the familiar form, that's the disguise. The scam. They're monsters in masquerade. Pretending to be people--neighbors, friends, lovers even. Using their humanlike skins to deceive." 
--Quincie and Brad, Tantalize


****

"Men suck."
Brad seemed to consider this. "Not all men, just the really good ones."
--Quincie and Brad, Tantalize


****

"What does anyone want? Power, devotion, dear friends, dead enemies, real estate, a place in the world, a purpose, a community..." ..."Someone to love. Someone to love me."
Bradley to Quincie, Tantalize





16 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this meme. I'm off to check it out.

    Haven't heard of your sidekick but he sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a whole lot of fun, Lauren! Glad you're checking it out and I hope you join us.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. That is a very cool sidekick category! I would never think of something like that. Bradley/Henry sounds great. I love the quotes.
    Thanks for sharing, Brandee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andrea! Tantalize is a great YA paranormal series. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  3. I added this one to my TBR too :D You did what I did and mentioned a series read before blogging. I love the choice! His public persona sounds so interesting. A little tidbit - wasn't the only vampire in the Harry Potter series named Sanguini? I'm pretty sure I heard J.K. say the name in latin means 'of blood' so that fits really well with this character! My favorite quote is the men suck quote LOL. His answer is priceless. I hope you are having a fantastic weekend :D Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to also comment on just seeing the picture of Elinor Dashwood on your sidebar - I'm watching Sense and Sensibility right now! I just brought up Harry Potter and it always thrills me to see three of the actors from that series in this movie LOL. Way off topic from your post :D

      Delete
    2. Hi, Jaclyn! Yeah, I think you're right about Sanguini. You'll be interested to know that Quincie P. Morgan is also a character from Bram Stoker's Dracula. Leitich Smith gives nods to several famous authors in this series. And I think it's a series you'd really like.

      How fun you were watching Sense & Sensibility! It's one of my favs! ;) You should do a 6 degrees of separation from Harry Potter post! LOL

      My weekend has been pretty great...one more day with my kiddos before it's back to school. I hope you enjoy your special time with Zane!

      Delete
  4. I haven't heard of this series but I did read a couple of cozy mysteries featuring a vampire themed restaurant by Sarah Zettel. The restaurant served blood from different types of animals and humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out Zettel sometime. Thanks, Vilia!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read this series but Love the men suck quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yeah, it's a great quote, Jodie. :) Tantalize is a fun YA paranormal series. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I'm with Jodie. I love the men suck quote, but the last one really sells it. I've seen this series at my library. I'll have to check it out. This week's challenge was a tough one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that last quote is one of my favorites, Robyn. See - he's a character you can love...but hate too. :) I hope you'll check out the series sometime. I found it when I was looking for 'what to read after Twilight'! LOL It's a lot of fun and as I said to Jaclyn, Leitich Smith gives nods to several famous authors including Bram Stoker.

      Hope you've made lots of progress on the moving, Robyn! :)

      Delete
  7. I have never heard of this series, Brandee - this is becoming a recurring theme, isn't it? Brad seems like a fun character to love/hate, though, and I need to check him out, I think;)

    Have a beautiful day! *hugs*

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'm always afraid I'll pick the same characters as my friends, Lexxie, since we read so many of the same books! ;) This is a great YA paranormal series, in my opinion. Leitich Smith does some awesome character development, and yes, Brad is one I loved to hate. :)

      Hope you've had a splendid Sunday! *hugs*

      Delete
  8. What a cool meme!

    Ok I too appreciate secondary characters esp in a series, it makes the plot more interesting plus it gives them room to have their own novella or book.

    I love instigators and it sounds like this dude is good at that. I haven't read or heard of the book and the series but the plot sounds interesting and fun. A vamp-themed resto, not my thing but I'm curious to visualize what that would be like.

    Great pick!

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??