Saturday, May 10, 2014

**Sidekick Showcase ~ #41 ~ Grandma Knows Best**



Sidekick Showcase (previously known as Sidekick Saturday) is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fits in this week's type

• Share a picture (if possible) and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• Put your link in the Linky thing and comment


**********************************
May's theme ~ In honor of Mother's Day we'll pick moms, grandmas, strong female mentors, etc. 

My pick this week:
Ella Pierce, Anna's Grandma from Robyn Jones' Touched Girl Series  

I think I may have mentioned here before how much I love a strong grandma character. They're standouts in stories for me. I, too, have a strong grandma in my life and she's been such a blessing. She never puts up with any crap and she makes sure I know how much I'm loved.

Ella Pierce - "Children and animals feared her, as did my mom when my dad insisted on us moving back here to live with her." - ended up being the only family Anna had left. And despite her "gruff personality" and refusal to refer to Anna by name, she does make sure Anna knows how much she's loved. She makes fabulous breakfasts, knows a glass of chocolate milk heals everything, and makes a terrible driving instructor. She's also loving and protective.

" '...I've seen her test scores. They're only putting her in her age-appropriate grade to help her with her socializing problem. Otherwise, she'd be starting college in the fall, not her senior year of high school.' Ella's version of bragging matched the rest of her, bossy and sort of sweet." -Ella (and Anna's thought), Soul Walker

"What  happened to you? You let me carry on in my fit while someone has hurt you?"..."I'll kill that bastard!" -Ella, Soul Walker

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read that series but she sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE her! To me her and Betsy will always be my favorite characters in this series which is a bit funny since I love the guys so much in the Maggie series. She is an absolutely fabulous choice :D Have a wonderful weekend and a marvelous Mother's Day!! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You chose Ella! Yay! I love her. I remember thinking my grandma could take down any force even though she was under 5 foot. The stuff she survived, I think she was the strongest in the family. I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day! It was great reading the quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ella sounds fantastic! Thanks for the introduction to her Brandee :)

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??