Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Beyond the Books ~ Inspiration...


Welcome to Beyond the Books. This post was inspired by Lexxie @Unconventional BookviewsUp Close and (Un)conventional, who was inspired by Cuddlebuggery. It's meant to be a way for y'all to get to know me better on a personal level ~ Beyond the Books. ;)



*************

Here's something about me some of you may not know...I'm a writer. I've always been a writer. I remember writing screen plays in elementary school, that my best friend and I would perform. For Christmas, when I was in fourth grade, I asked for a typewriter (which I still have) so that I could type my stories...like a real writer. In my teen years, I broke into writing poetry. I was a technical writer, in my previous life, because it enabled me to write for a living even if it wasn't the kind of writing I really wanted to do. But when the kids started coming, I stopped writing. Oh, I put together interviews and articles for the school newsletter, and I eventually began blogging...but I didn't really write anymore. Then, in 2012, inspiration struck and I had the sudden need to write. I began hearing voices in my head (the jury's still out on my sanity) and I started writing again. 

I'm not a diligent writer - it's always difficult to find time to dedicate to writing. And then there's all the books I want to read. :) I have several projects in progress. But I *am* working on them.

Last week, I attended the Emerald City Writer's Conference hosted by the Greater Seattle chapter of Romance Writers of America. There I met and listened to some fabulous authors (Elizabeth Hoyt, Sabrina Jeffries, and Margaret Mallory to name a few) and aspiring writers. I learned so much and gained so much inspiration. I took workshops on everything from POV to writing smarter/writing faster. I was able to chat with writers who were self-pubbed as well as those published traditionally, and even those who, like me, aren't to the point where they're considering publishing at all. 

I came home pumped! I have a vision and a plan. I knew this past week wouldn't allow me to put my plan into action because of the kids' activities, but this week, it's a go! I'll keep you posted...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??