Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Brandee's Bookish Babble #28 ~ Cliffhangers & Ratings


Welcome to Brandee's Bookish Babble. There are many, many similar posts to this one - but basically I wanted a place to discuss bookish and/or blogging stuff and I needed a title. :) 


***
I've noticed something recently and wondered what y'all might think about it... that would be a startling number of 1-Star reviews being left for books because they have cliffhangers. Now, I know some readers have very strong feelings when it comes to cliffies, but... Would you really rate a perfectly well-written book a 1-Star simply because the author left you hanging at the end? I've been comments like, "just another ploy to get more money" and "not a complete book." Um, I kinda think a 200-300 page book is complete. And a 200-300 page book for $2.99 or less? That's a bargain! There may just be more to the story. And a lot of the time, that's not something I'm going to complain about.

Okay so, I'm in the camp that doesn't mind a cliffhanger. But again, I'd not give a low rating for one - or for something that I have a personal bias against. My low ratings are about substance and I try to give constructive criticism in my reviews if there's something I don't like about a book. That's just me though...

What about y'all? How do y'all feel about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??