Wicked Intentions by Elizabeth Hoyt
Maiden Lane #1
Release Date: August 1, 2010
Genre: Adult, Historical Romance
Source: I received a complimentary copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Rating: 5 Bookworms
A man controlled by his desires...
Infamous for his wild, sensual needs, Lazarus Huntington, Lord Caire, is searching for a savage killer in St. Giles, London's most notorious slum. Widowed Temperance Dews knows St. Giles like the back of her hand - she's spent a lifetime caring for its inhabitants at the foundling home her family established. Now that home is at risk.
A woman haunted by her past...
Caire makes a simple offer - in return for Temperance's help navigating the perilous alleys of St. Giles, he will introduce her to London's high society so that she can find a benefactor for the home. But Temperance may not be the innocent she seems, and what begins as cold calculation soon falls prey to a passion that neither can control - one that may well destroy them both.
A bargain neither would refuse.
Oh, Wicked Intentions...how do I love thee? Let me count the ways:
1) Hoyt delivers such appealing characters despite them being atypical. Lazarus is an anti-hero and Temperance is intelligent, witty, and strong.
2) Lazarus was fascinating to become acquainted with as Temperance peeled back all his layers. In the same way, Temperance was compelling as a heroine as Lazarus aided her in her self-discovery. In many ways, Wicked Intentions is a study in human nature.
3) The mystery kept me glued to my kindle trying to solve it alongside Lazarus and Temperance. I had my suspicions but in the end, I was wrong.
4) The secondary characters were interesting - from Temperance's siblings and Lazarus' mother all the way to Polly the wet nurse. I do hope we see much more from many of them.
5) Temperance's profession - I adored that she helps run a home for abandoned children along with her brother.
6) Hoyt's use of snippets from a fairytale as the start for each chapter. These snippets lead into the chapter and the story overall so well.
Wicked Intentions was a delight! Hoyt always entertains me and I'm eager to get started on the next in the Maiden Lane series.