Monday, July 24, 2017

Review ~ Before I Ever Met You ~ Karina Halle #2017NewRelease

Before I Ever Met YouBefore I Ever Met You by Karina Halle
Release Date: April 25, 2017
Genre: Adult, Contemporary Romance
Source: Instagram Contest Win (contest hosted by the author)
Rating: 4.5 Bookworms
Challenges#2017NewRelease
Goodreads

Synopsis
I first met William McAlister when I was just a teenager.

He was handsome, had a beautiful wife and was on the verge of success, having just joined my father as his business partner. Mr. McAlister was full of smooth charm, but back then he was barely a blip on my radar. Just a family friend.

Fast forward ten years. I'm 25 years old and a single mom trying to make things right for her seven-year old son. I've made some mistakes, grappled with my demons and now I'm back in the city of Vancouver, getting a second chance at a better life.

I've started by working for my father's production company as an executive assistant. My first day on the job and I already know I could have a promising career there. That is until I see Will McAlister for the first time in a decade.

Now recently divorced and as sophisticated as always, Will has gone from being my father's friend and business partner to something so much more.

We're both older, for one thing, and he just oozes this worldly confidence and stark sexuality. Combined with his tall, muscular build and sharp suits, strong jaw and bedroom eyes, Will has turned into one hell of a distraction.

A distraction I'm having a hard time staying away from, considering his office is right across from my desk and I work with him in such close proximity.

But it's just a harmless crush, right?

It's just an innocent fantasy of screwing him on his desk, right?

It can't ever be more because he's my father's best friend, business partner, and my boss.

Right?

Wrong.

Before I Ever Met You is a contemporary standalone romance, a light-hearted swoony read that will make you believe in love again.





Two tropes I'm fond of: office romances and May-December romances. Before I Ever Met You combines both these with a few bonus features. *wink* That this is written by Karina Halle only made it better. She's quickly becoming an author I can rely on for satisfying romances.

Jackie, former wild child and prodigal daughter of a wealthy couple has now returned home as a mom to a little boy and a woman with quite a bit of baggage. Her father has given her a job in the family company - assistant to Will - partner and long-time family friend. Jackie knew Will when she was a surly teen but seeing him now - she sees him in a whole new light.

Will has recently returned to Vancouver as a divorced man. He's been settling in nicely with the change of pace from the L.A. office. He doesn't think he needs an assistant but he's getting one. And when he sets eyes on Jackie, he couldn't be happier about the prospect.

As Jackie and Will get better acquainted, they find they can't eny the mutual attraction they feel - despite how they try - or the growing feelings between them. But Jackie's past, her son, her desire to mend things with her parents, all conspire against her...them.

I quite enjoyed Jackie and Will's story. Watching as they got to know one another, the fun banter between them, and Will's interactions with Jackie's son, Ty, all made for a compelling read. I did get frustrated with Jackie's inability to recognize or deal with her feelings. However, I also understood the reasons behind it. What she'd endured in her past and how it made her question herself was entirely realistic.

I really would have liked more page time with Ty. The interactions between him, Jackie, and Will were fun and endearing so I would have enjoyed more development in the dynamics there - especially between him and Will. That there wasn't that development took away from the depth that could have been created.

I'm thrilled Lexxie and I won ARCs of Before I Ever Met You to buddy read. It was a heartwarming story with engaging characters. I'm eager to read and listen to more of Halle's backlist.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??