Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Brandee's Bookish Babble #30 ~ Kindle vs Nook


Welcome to Brandee's Bookish Babble. There are many, many similar posts to this one - but basically I wanted a place to discuss bookish and/or blogging stuff and I needed a title. :) 


***
While writing my post on Kindle vs Nook pricing, I got to thinking maybe those of you with only one or the other might like a comparison of the two. Now, I'm not doing a sales pitch for either - there won't be any technical specs here. This is more of an illustration of the differences in ease of use - in my opinion. If you have questions, please feel free to ask. I just thought this would be a fun thing to do.

My ereading journey began with a First Generation Nook. Sadly, the last working model in my household recently died. :( Anyway, don't laugh but I own 2 Nook Simple Touches (one with Glowlight, one without), a Kindle Paperwhite, and a Kindle Fire. But here I'm comparing my Kindle Paperwhite and my Nook Glowlight.

In my opinion, the Nook's design is more comfortable to hold. I don't use a cover so this is strictly about how the device feels in my hand. The Nook has some curves and indentations (well, it did - the new design does not) which makes it easier to grip.

The Lookup function on the Kindle is easier to use. All I have to do is touch the word (hold for a second or so) and the definition pops up. On the Nook it works similarly but it pops up a menu asking me what I want to do instead of just giving me the definition.

The Highlight function is world's better on the Kindle. I simply touch the screen where I want the highlight to start, drag my finger to where I want it to end, and then tap Highlight. I can even add notes. Nook has this functionality but it's much clumsier.

Nook makes organizing books easy with its Create Shelves feature. I have shelves for Netgalley, COYER, ARCs, etc. I love this feature. It is a little cumbersome having to go through the list of books in your library but worth it. Kindle allows you create Collections but the whole process is cumbersome. I have to go through my entire library and can only add one book at a time. And y'all, I have A LOT of books. Like A LOT!! ;)

Kindle makes reviewing ARCs easier in that I can send .doc files to my Kindle and then read. Nook can't convert. I can read PDF files on Nook but it's just an easier process on Kindle.

Kindle also wins when it comes to archiving or removing a book from your device. All I have to do it touch the cover and a menu pops up with the option to remove (or delete) the file from my device. The file stays in the cloud - it's just not hogging memory on my device. And yeah, I need the memory because I have A LOT of books. ;) With Nook, archiving is done through the website, so it's more work.

I've found the Search option within books to be better on Nook. They work similarly on both devices but Nook's result system seems to work better. On some Kindle books (in review copies I forgive this) I get a message that the file isn't set up for searching - not indexes. What?!?

I've found navigating within books similar on both devices.

Overall, it seems Kindle is easier to use but I really enjoy reading on both. And I adore having my digital library so handy!


What about y'all? What are your favorite features in your ereader? Which do you own?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??