Monday, November 14, 2016

Review ~ Perfectly Imperfect ~ Harper Sloan


Perfectly ImperfectPerfectly Imperfect by Harper Sloan
Release Date: November 17, 2015
Genre: Adult, Contemporary Romance
Source: Purchased on Nook
Rating: 4 Bookworms
Challenges: #ShelfLove
Goodreads

Synopsis
Mirror, mirror ... who's the fairest of them all?

I still cringe when I hear that line. A fairy tale that had girls pretending they were the fairest, the most beautiful, and the most entitled. A fairy tale most couldn't grow out of turned my haunted childhood memories into a living nightmare. Girls who grew up believing that pile of garbage became the meanest of all 'mean girls.'

And those mean girls were right - it was a line meant for all the beautiful people in the world - and I knew the answer would never be me.

The women with long legs, flat stomachs, and perfect chests.

The type of women Kane Masters gravitated toward.

Well, that's definitely not Willow Tate.

No. That will never be me.

Because I'm completely imperfect.

And ... I hate myself.

I have no idea what Kane could possible see in someone like me when he could have them.



Good golly! This is a difficult review to write. Not because the story was bad. No, quite the opposite. More that it's a story that resonated so deeply with me. One I think many women would identify with, actually. A beautiful story - one that reminds us all that we are beautiful.

Willow is a young woman who's lived an emotionally challenging life. Losing her mother equaled losing all familial support and unconditional love she'd ever experienced. She spent a large portion of her life seeking validation and that love - trying to fit a mold, trying to reach the unattainable goal of perfection. After an ugly divorce, she's fought her way to a point where she's stronger. But it takes meeting Kane and being on the receiving end of his support and love, for Willow to finally break free of the chains of the illusion of perfection and love herself.

Sloan gives us this story from both Willow's and Kane's POVs. I enjoyed the incite that having Kane's POV provided. He's a man that speaks his mind and when he give his word, it's gold. The notion that a superstar actor could fall completely for an average woman is a dream. Right? But Sloan gives us exactly that while at the same time making us believe that in the average woman there is power, strength, passion, intelligence, and love - all so potent that average doesn't exist.

I loved the message conveyed in Willow and Kane's story. It's a powerful and important one. Was the telling perfect? No. But it was perfectly imperfect.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??