Saturday, October 28, 2017

My TBR List Review ~ October ~ Lover Revealed ~ J.R. Ward #MyTBRList #TravelingtotheTerminus

MyTBRList

My To-Be Read List is a meme hosted by Michelle @Because Reading



Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4)Lover Revealed by J.R. Ward
Black Dagger Brotherhood #4
Release Date: March 6, 2007
Genre: Adult, Paranormal Romance
Source: Library
Rating: 4 Bookworms
Challenges: #TravelingtotheTerminus
Goodreads

Synopsis
Butch O'Neal is a fighter by nature. A hard-living ex-homicide cop, he's the only human ever to be allowed in the inner circle of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. And he wants to go even deeper into the vampire world-to engage in the turf war with the lessers. He's got nothing to lose. His heart belongs to a female vampire, an aristocratic beauty who's way out of his league. If he can't have Marissa, then at least he can fight side by side with the Brothers...

Fate curses him with the very thing he wants. When Butch sacrifices himself to save a civilian vampire from the slayers, he falls prey to the darkest force in the war. Left for dead, he's found by a miracle, and the Brotherhood calls on Marissa to bring him back. But even her love may not be enough to save him...



Confession: I started the Black Dagger Brotherhood series before I began blogging. Waaaay before. I couldn't remember where I'd stopped in this series but when I was reading through the synopses of the books, this one didn't sound familiar. After getting about a third of the way in, I realized that yeah, I'd read this one before. BUT it was about ten years ago so even though I remembered some things, there was more that I didn't. So this served as a nice reintroduction to the series.

Highlights:

  • Plot
    Of course I remembered the basics - the Brotherhood, the Princeps Council, the lessers. But I enjoyed how the plot progression in this installment refreshed my memory. What Ward did with Butch and the prophecy was rather genius. It enabled Butch's role to make more sense or rather feel more realistic as well as rounding out his character.
  • Characters
    Getting to spend time with Brothers I'd met previously (and remembered *wink*) and their mates was also memory refreshing. Butch, the hero of Lover Revealed, I'd always liked as well. He's a hard guy with a squishy center. Marissa was a female vampire I liked but felt she was a little weak. Seeing her find her backbone and her purpose after being made to feel "less than" her whole existence was inspiring and made me like her much more. I'm very curious about what's to come for Vishous and John though.
  • Politics/Culture
    The politics among the vampires, the culture of the vampire aristocracy, and the politics among the lessers was interesting to watch in action. Particularly in regards to how the vampires treat women (in the aristocracy) and those they consider inferior among their own race.
So yeah, despite having read this previously, Lover Revealed reignited my enthusiasm for the series and I'm eager to continue.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??