Monday, October 9, 2017

#OctobeRecFest Review #2 ~ The Angel ~ Tiffany Reisz #ShelfLove #TravelingtotheTerminus


The Angel (The Original Sinners, #2)The Angel by Tiffany Reisz
The Original Sinners #2
Release Date: September 25, 2012
Genre: Adult, Erotic Romance, Contemporary Romance, BDSM
Source: Puchased paperback
Rating: 5 Bookworms
Challenges: #OctobeRecFest, #ShelfLove
Recommended by: Lexxie @unConventional Bookviews, among others
Goodreads

Synopsis
No safe word can protect the heart
Infamous erotica author and accomplished dominatrix Nora Sutherlin is doing something utterly out of character: hiding. While her longtime lover, Soren - whose fetishes, if exposed, would be his ruin - is under scrutiny pending a major promotion, Nora's lying low and away from temptation in the lap of luxury.

Her host, the wealthy and uninhibited Griffin Fiske, is thrilled to have Nora stay at his country estate, especially once he meets her traveling companion. Young, inexperienced and angelically beautiful, Michael has become Nora's protege, and this summer with Griffin is going to be his training, where the hazing never ends.

But while her flesh is willing, Nora's mind is wandering. To thoughts of Soren, her master, under investigation by a journalist with an ax to grind. And to another man from Nora's past, whose hold on her is less bruising, but whose secrets are no less painful. It's a summer that will prove the old adage: love hurts.




I've been ruminating on The Angel for several days now and I still can't quite come up with the words to articulate how I feel about it... But here it goes...

That The Angel is superbly written, well that goes without saying. That it's the most provocative book (and series) I've ever read is also near the top of the list. Reisz created in Nora, Soren, Michael, Griffin, Wes, and Kingsley, characters that burrowed under my skin...that will never leave me...characters that I'm tied up in knots over. *grins* Just the way they'd like me.

I'm one of those readers who is always looking for the deeper meaning. Whether the author intends it or not, stories and characters speak to me - in a well-written story anyway - and I figure they have something to teach me. I'm barely scratching the surface with this series so I eagerly await the lessons to come but here's what I think was the message in The Angel.

In all Soren does for Nora, in his seemingly omnipotent way, what he does for Michael and Griffin, even what he did for Suzanne...they each learned more about themselves, things everyone needs to know about themselves, and about the true nature of love - to experience the true nature of love.

Reisz's style, how she reveals important events from the character's pasts and how those events impacted who they are now...it's marvelous. The Angel, and The Original Sinners series, is not for everyone. The BDSM element is an integral part of these characters' stories. And yes, it made me uncomfortable at times. But that's another wonder of Reisz's writing...she made me think, wonder, and puzzle over these characters even as she made me flinch.

It may sound odd but this is a beautifully written, beautiful story. And I'm keen to continue with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??