Thursday, June 14, 2018

Thirsty Thursday & Hungry Hearts #81 ~ Taint by S.L. Jennings


Thirsty Thursday & Hungry Hearts is a weekly meme hosted by my blogger wife, Lexxie, @(un)Conventional Bookviews. It's a way to highlight a book using quotes that revolve around food and/or drinks. Every Thursday, post a line or two...or heck, a whole paragraph, that spoke to you in some way using food and/or drinks. *wink* Don't forget to link up!

My pick this week for Thirsty Thursday & Hungry Hearts is from:

Taint by S.L. Jennings

If you had to choose, what flavor would it be?

***

"If you could only eat one flavor of ice cream for the rest of your life, would you pick Rocky Road or mint chocolate chip?"
"Excuse me?" I sit on the stool across from hers, brows raised in question.
"Just humor me. Rocky Road or mint chocolate chip?" She smiles amusingly and digs back into her ice cream.
I'm not sure what to make of this girl. First she's calling me an asshole, and now she's asking me about ice-cream flavors? I frown in confusion.
"Please?" she says just above a whisper. "I haven't had a regular conversation about something other than shoes or handbags, or who our husbands could be sleeping with, in days. I just need to...forget. Just for a little while."
I nod and let out a breath, my chest suddenly full of some foreign, unnamed emotion. Sympathy? Yes. But something else too. And it has nothing to do with pitying her.
"Well, being that I've never had mint chocolate chip, and I vaguely remember trying Rocky Road as a child, I'd have to go with that flavor," I reply with a shrug.
Ally's eyes grow wide with playful shock. "You've never had mint chocolate chip ice cream?"
I shake my head. "Nope."
"Then you haven't lived!" She scoops out a small bite and offers it to me, the spoon a mere inch from my lips. "Go ahead; try it."
Okay, I've got two choices. Door Number One: I refuse to play along with her little game and kick her out of my house, offending her and demolishing any ounce of trust she has for me. Or Door Number Two: I let her innocently spoon-feed me ice cream and force myself to see the act for what it is - a chaste, nonerotic gesture between two adults.
Yeah, right.
I lean forward so that the cold tip of the spoon just grazes my bottom lip. Ally slowly eases it forward, causing me to open wider for her, my tongue reflexively jutting out to taste the first sweet drops of cream. I wrap my lips around the mound of chocolaty mint and suck it off the spoon, letting out my own sounds of pleasure.
"Good, right?" Ally beams, nodding her head.
"Hell yeah," I half-groan against my better judgment. But it's too late. Allison Elliot-Carr has weakened my defenses with just a spoonful of Haagen-Dazs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??