Monday, July 2, 2018

#Audio Review ~ Beneath this Mask ~ Meghan March #AudioChallenge #COYER

Beneath This Mask audiobook cover art
Beneath this Mask by Meghan March
Beneath #1
Narrated byAndi Arndt and Holter Graham
Release Date: June 30, 2015
Genre: Adult, Contemporary Romance
Source: Purchased on Audible
Rating: 4.5 Bookworms
Challenges: #AudioChallenge, #COYER, #ShelfLove
Goodreads

Synopsis
He loves me, and he doesn't even know my real name.

The limelight that follows him could expose everything I'm hiding. But even knowing the risks, I can't force myself to stay away.

I'm going to break his heart, but mine will shatter right along with it.

Will we lose it all when I reveal what's beneath this mask?




Beneath this Mask was a captivating story brilliantly brought to life through Arndt's and Graham's narration (although I preferred Arndt's). There wasn't much about this story I didn't like - from the premise to the well-developed characters down to the NOLA setting - it was all good and I'm so happy I gave MMarch a go!

Highlights:
  • Premise
    A Bernie Madoff-style swindle that ruined not only the lives of those swindled but also that of a young woman whose belief in her father was destroyed forcing that young woman into hiding knowing her life would never again be "normal". While in hiding she meets a man who makes her want to give up her solitary lifestyle, maybe reveal her secrets...but she knows that because of his family's name and his career ambitions her mask of ink and colored hair aren't any better for him than the what the fallout would be were the secrets about her identity revealed.
  • Charlie & Simon/Romance
    Charlie and Simon meet in a tattoo shop. Simon is rather persistent in his pursuit of Charlie and despite her misgivings she eventually relents.
    I adored Charlie. She's smart, resilient, tough, and independent...all qualities I admire. She had absolutely no issues living without all the trappings of her privileged upbringing. In fact, those trappings, which she recognizes as the blessings they were, were never things she desired. What she wanted more was a dad who wasn't "dirty" and a mom who validated and valued her for the person she is. But she's finding that in her new life.
    Simon is the son of a semi-famous family and an all-around good guy. I appreciated how he was so into Charlie that he was willing to let her let him in at her own pace. What I also appreciated with these two was their character growth. They both realized what they wanted and that it was going to take some unpleasantness to get there. But they were both willing to wade through that unpleasantness for their own happiness as well as for each other.
  • NOLA
    MMarch did well with bringing to life the vibrant city. From clubs to street vendors, tattoo shops to Bourbon Street, and wedding parades, too...it made me want to go back to New Orleans ASAP!
  • Secondary Characters
    MMarch also created a nice little cast of secondary characters including Charlie's friends - especially Con - her dog, Huck, and Simon's family. I believe I'll get Con's story later in the series and I'm tickled pink over that. :)
  • Narration
    Y'all! I seriously FLOVE Andi Arndt!! Holter Graham was good too but Arndt really nailed it. I feel like I always say the same things about narrators I enjoy but Arndt easily switched from Charlie's voice to Simon's - including a little NOLA-flare for him - and her delivery just ROCKED. 

Beneath this Mask was an absolute pleasure. And it made my 10 hour drive to Texas a joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??