Saturday, April 25, 2015

My TBR List Review & Blogger Chick Chat ~ The Watson Brothers ~ Lori Foster



When Lexxie @Unconventional Book Views saw that The Watson Brothers had won the vote this month, she was quick to ask if we could buddy read this one as she adores Lori Foster's writing and hadn't met The Watson Brothers yet. So we did buddy-read it (even if she finished waaay before I did) and I get to share not only my review, but our chat about the book as well!




*****

The Watson Brothers (Watson Brothers #1-3)
The Watson Brothers
Watson Brothers #1-3 Compilation
One-clicked on May 17, 2010

My House, My Rules
Sweetly sexy and extremely determined Ariel drives tough, rugged cop Sam Watson over the edge. When Ariel's headstrong ways nearly wreck one of Sam's sting operations--ruining her dress in the process--he offers her a ride to his place to clean up. But Ariel seems to have her own agenda, and Sam decides it's time to show the lady that is she wants to play games of seduction, he'll be calling the shots...

Bringing Up Baby
Gil Watson's wild night on a business trip two years ago resulted in a daughter he never know he had. Now that the girl's mother is gone, he wants to do right by his little girl, even if it means a marriage of convenience with the woman who's been raising her. Anabel Truman is totally wrong for him. But the sensations she rouses in Gil feel totally right.

Good With His Hands
As best friends, Pete Watson and Cassidy McClannahan have a "no sex" relationship. "No sex" equals continuing friendship. "Ohmygodyes" sex equals big problems. It may be a rigid rule, but it works--until Pete decides he wants to push the line and transform himself into the perfect guy he thinks Cassidy wants.




My House, My Rules
Oh, Sam Watson, you sarcastic, stubborn, swoon-worthy man!

The oldest of the Watson brothers was a hoot to watch as he tried to fend off Arial. It seems Sam misunderstood the situation between Arial and his little brother, Pete.

Arial was determined and tenacious. She knew what, or rather who, she wanted and she went after him - no holds barred.

There was a little issue over lack of experience *waggles eyebrows* on Arial's part but it didn't take away from the story. And I loved getting to meet the other Watson brothers and their fierce mama. I only wish the story had been longer.

Bringing Up Baby
Okay, Gil Watson actually overtook his brother, Sam, for the #1 spot in my heart. I guess I'm a sucker for the more serious, reserved man - at least outwardly reserved.

Gile recently found out he was the father of a 2 year old little girl. Nicole's mama died and her roommate, whom Gil has always been attracted to, shows up with his baby.

Anabel may be a little unconventional - and proves that with her offer to Gil - but she loves Nicole like she was her own. She knows what she wants where Nicole and Gil are concerned and she's determined to get it.

I enjoyed this one even more for Gil's reserved intensity, Anabel's brashness, and Nicole's adorableness - especially when she's wrapping her daddy around her little finger.

Good With His Hands
I was fully prepared not to enjoy Pete's story as much since he's the youngest Watson brother - playful, a player. But Pete's story is set ~5 years after Gil's, so he's grown up a bit. And I found him rather adorable as he falls in love.

Cassidy McClannahan essentially is Pete's best friend. They work together, live next door to one another, and do most everything together. But as they've gotten closer, Cassidy's realized that her feelings are more than friendly.

I really enjoyed getting to know Cassidy. She's a girl after my own heart - a tomboy who's very uncomfortable dressing up - she prefers jeans, sneakers, and no makeup. She's also very goal-oriented and determined enough to go after what she wants.

Pete, as I said, is playful and fun-loving. He worries he doesn't fit the idea of the perfect man that Cassidy has. It sure was fun seeing him try to win her over by being himself.


Overall, I saw a similarity between all the Watson brothers - they all fell for strong, determined women. And I enjoyed their interactions as well as their antics when it came to their brothers' love lives. I wish we'd seen more of Belinda, their mom. And I'm hopeful there are more books with these characters as I'd like to spend more time with them all.





***Blogger Chick Chat***


Okay, Lexxie...I finished Sam & Ariel's story last night...so let's chat about it. 

I adore this couple. They have such chemistry...if only Sam wasn't so dang stubborn. *ha* What did you think of his trying to stay away from Ariel? 

Ariel's "making sure" made me giggle. She seemed to have it together - a girl with a plan - even if she did put herself in some questionable situations. Did you like Ariel?

I'm thinking we're going to be happy this came as a set so we can get to know all the brothers, their mother, and their ladies, better. That was what I was wishing for with My House, My Rules...more time to get to know everyone. But I do like Foster's writing. It's very easy-to-read. Were you left wanting when you finished Sam & Ariel's story?

Oh my, I adored them, too! But I did get my little 'ugh, she's a virgin' thing for a little while. However, it really didn't take anything away from their story at all! And it was so funny that he thought he was too old for her! And that he would break Pete's heart if he went after her *giggles*

Ariel's making sure was great, too, and I loved her as a character, because she knew what she wanted, and just went after it full trottle.

I actually finished the whole book already... yeah, I know very quick reader. And I totally loved Pete and Gil as well, and I actually still want more of all three brothers. They are made of hot smexiness, Brandee!


*haha* When the virgin issue came up I thought, "oh boy, Lexxie isn't going to like this." But you're right, it didn't take from their story. Ariel was no shrinking violet or simpering little girl. She knew what she wanted and was very determined to have him.

Sam's thinking he was too old for her was hilarious. That he kept teasing her about being a little girl was too. Especially because he really knew how to get her riled up.

As for Gil and Anabel's story...I think maybe Gil is actually my favorite of the brothers. I guess I like 'buttoned up', reserved, and intense. *grins* And I thought Anabel was awesome with her mouthiness and unconventional style. And Nicole...she was a delight!! A little whirlwind of delight. :) Did you like Anabel? What did you think about her situation? I really admired what she did, taking on Nicole.

Pete and Cassidy's story was a pleasure, too. I was prepared not to enjoy Pete's story as much because he was the youngest and the biggest playboy. (I think) But their story was fun. It was great getting the dual POV and seeing both Pete and Cassidy thinking the other wouldn't ever want more because they didn't fit the mold. I thought it was funny that Cassidy thought she wanted a 'suit' guy when she was about as far away from a 'suit' girl as she could be.  Oh, and I giggled so much over Pete's misunderstanding what was going on in Cassidy's apartment that night. And Cassidy cutting her hair...  I identified most with Cassidy. I was (am) a tomboy and still don't enjoy dressing up that much. And I was (am) always the sensible one. :)

I liked that each of these brothers thought they knew what they wanted in a woman. And then when it came to a particular woman, they all had reasons why it wouldn't work. The best part is that they each managed to pick a strong, determined woman. I think it speaks a lot to what their mother is like and I wish we'd gotten to know her better.

LOL, you know me so well, my dear! 

I loved Gil and Anabel both! My, Anabel was so loyal, and I loved that she was willing to do anything and everything to make sure Nicole would be safe and loved. And I thought it was really funny when Anabel explained to Gil why she had the tattoos and the extra piercings :D shut him up nice and good, that did! Of course, I also love characters who are unconventional - there’s nothing wrong with being a little bit different, you know?

Nicole was the perfect child character, with her hugs and kisses AND her tiny tantrums and making spots on the white, pristine walls in Gil’s house.

Pete’s story was set a few years later, which I think was a good idea, because he seemed a little spoiled in Watson’s story, so I was happy he had grown up a little in his own story. I loved that Cass and Pete were such good friends, and that they were unsure about how to possibly change their relationship without ruining their friendship. As you know, that’s one of my favorite romance tropes! People who already know, love and respect each other make for excellent lovers in romances :D

I don’t dress up much either, I’m happiest when I can wear jeans and a t-shirt or shirt - I don’t use a lot of make-up, and I usually wear sneakers :D So yeah, the tomboy part of Cass was easy to understand. I can be sensible, but I can definitely do reckless/crazy, too, as long as the consequences aren’t too difficult to deal with ;) And you’re right, too, that all three women were strong and confident, and also that they were comfortable with their sexuality.

Oh, it would be awesome to have a book about their mom, too! She’s a widower, so it could be a later in life romance… hmm do you think we should try to send a whispering tweet to Ms. Foster about that? 


Loyal - that's a great description of Anabel. And she was quite the mama bear when it came to Nicole. As a mom, I loved that about her. Oh, and yeah, I loved her shutting Gil up with the reasons for her tattoos, etc., too. I enjoyed his reaction to Pete asking about her body parts on the internet even more. ;)

Nicole was well written and she won my heart just as easily as she won her daddy's...fingerprints on everything and all.

*ha* I wrote in my mini-review about Pete's story taking place a few years after Gil's. I liked that too because I wasn't so sure I was going to like Pete's playboy ways. He did seem spoiled when we met him previously. But he definitely grew up. 

Honestly, I can't decide which of the boys' stories is my favorite. I was deadset in thinking Pete's would be my least favorite. But I like the friends to lovers trope as well. And Pete and Cassidy were made for each other. But then so were Gil and Anabel. And Sam and Ariel. Can it be a tie? *haha*

Good point about the ladies all being confident in their sexuality...even Ariel, with the least experience. Just goes to show what the 'right' guy will bring out in a woman. I think Anabel was the most confident though. She did hold herself back a little out of fear but the 'real' Anabel was awesome.

We should definitely whisper tweet Ms. Foster for a story about Belinda Watson. A later-in-life romance for her would be great. I'd be especially interested in seeing how her boys handled that. ;)

Oh if only Ms. foster was going to RT!!

Sure, go ahead and post our chat - our conversations are kind of fun!

I actually think Ariel and Sam’s story is my favorite, possibly because Sam was in his late thirties, so I didn’t feel creepy loving him ;)

Oh, I didn't feel creepy at all crushing on Gil! ;)

Thanks for the buddy-read and for chatting, Lexxie! 17 more days and we'll be doing it person! :)

10 comments:

  1. Great review for these three amazing brothers, Brandee! I can't believe it's only 17 days until we can have face-to-face conversations :)
    Have a wonderful weekend, my dear! *BIG HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well shoot, now I'm sorry I never travel. Would have been nice to meet you both at RT. ;-) Maybe another year. Thank you for the terrific reviews of an oldie reissue! Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These all sound like interesting stories. I always like series that focus on family members and seeing cameo appearances from previous books. From your descriptiosn the last two sound like I would enjoy those most. I like the more serious characters, but I also have a weak spot for friends to lovers romances. And it sounds fun that all females were confident about their sexuality, that's something I like in books. Great review and it was fun reading your chat with Lexxie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I voted for this one (I think). I'm glad you had so much fun reading it and chatting with Lexxie! I do love those book chats. I haven't read Lori Foster yet, but I have to get on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how fun these books sound. I enjoyed both of your comments. Glad you both enjoyed these stories :) And truthfully, I haven't worn anything but jeans and sneakers since I retired(early) in 2008-after after 34 years in jobs that required me to iron and wear a nice outfit everyday-I was done! I do wear nice black jeans and dress shoes when I absolutely have to! Great joint review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see the buddy read with Lexxie went more than fine, I'm glad! :D I still have to try Lori Foster's books, but I will get there at some point, especially now that I've read such great thoughts about those brothers... Nice job with the chat, girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so hoped you would enjoy, Brandee! I'm glad you did and your review and chit chat has made me want to go back and re-read. Oh, brother. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if it's too late... Maybe you could still do a last-minute sign-up?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehe! Fun chat ladies. It is good that you both liked these characters. They sound like good romances. I hope you get to influence Lori about writing a book for Belinda *wink*

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharrice HewlettMay 4, 2015 at 8:47 PM

    This is a great chat ladies!!!! I love your review and chat it was so original and fresh!

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??