Saturday, September 30, 2017

My TBR List Review ~ September ~ The Departed ~ Shiloh Walker #MyTBRL #ShelfLove

MyTBRList

My To-Be Read List is a meme hosted by Michelle @Because Reading


The Departed (FBI Psychics, #2)The Departed by Shiloh Walker
The FBI Psychics #2
Release Date: January 3, 2012
Genre: Adult, Romantic Suspense
Source: Purchased paperback
Rating: 4 Bookworms
Challenges: #ShelfLove, #TravelingtotheTerminus
Goodreads

Synopsis

A LIFELONG OBSESSION

FBI Special Agent Taylor Jones has made it his mission to save those in harm's way by any means necessary-including employing psychic agents like Desiree "Dez" Lincoln, who can communicate with the disembodied spirits of the dead. Taylor is haunted by his own ghost, his kid sister, gone missing at age six. For a quarter of a century he has been tortured by her loss and the mystery of her disappearance.

A NIGHT'S INDISCRETION

When Dez is seriously wounded, Taylor can no longer hide his feelings for her. Getting involved could spell disaster for both of them-not to mention those who rely on them for help-but once Dez lays her hands on him, he can't resist the fierce attraction. But after giving in to his desires, Taylor pulls back, and Dez strikes out on her own.

AN INESCAPABLE PASSION

Responding to the call of another anguished spirit, Dez is led to Taylor's old hometown. As the two are forced to come together to save a girl in peril, Dez may be able to help Taylor finally find the answers he's been looking for...



It's been a number of years since I read The Missing, the first book in Walker's FBI Psychics series, but it's a story that's really stuck with me so I was excited The Departed won the vote this month. It's a great sequel and one I was happy to get having met Taylor Jones in The Missing - I wanted to know his story. I admit that I hate that this one has been languishing on my shelf since it released but I'm happy I read it now and that there's more in the series.

Highlights

  • Taylor & Dez
    Walker is rather gifted with developing complex characters whom you become very invested in. I mean, Taylor had stuck with me enough that I was thrilled he was getting a book. Taylor, on the surface, seems cold, methodical, completely able to keep his emotions in check. Finding out why he is the way he is was interesting - especially since he was far from emotionless when it came to Dez. Dez is such a compassionate person - which is a good thing considering her gift. She can communicate with the dead, helping them, in whatever way is needed, to find peace so they can move on. 
  • The Paranormal Element
    Since I'm a believer in psychic abilities, that Walker created a division within the FBI that uses agents with those gifts to solve crimes is something I find very compelling.
  • The Suspense Element
    Honestly, I hadn't figured out the biggest mystery when the reveal occurred. Some things became clear as hints were dropped but Walker kept me riveted. There were a few things left unanswered that I would have liked knowing but overall, the suspense was well done. The way Walker incorporated the paranormal with the suspense made it all the better.
  • The Romance Element
    Taylor and Dez have ignored their feelings for one another for awhile so when they let loose, they ignited. It was a rocky road though. Watching Dez stand up to Taylor, enjoying their prickly banter, and seeing Taylor's walls come down...it was good stuff!

Walker does an excellent job of combining some paranormal with gripping suspense and a dash of romance! ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??