Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Release Day Review ~ Oceanside ~ Michelle Mankin @MichelleMankin #2018NewRelease

Oceanside (Rock Stars, Surf and Second Chances, #3)Oceanide by Michelle Mankin
Rock Stars, Surf, and Second Chances #3
Release Date: April 10, 2018
Genre: Adult, Contemporary Romance
Source: I received an ARC from the author. I voluntarily provided a review. I also purchased my own copy.
Rating: 4.5 Bookworms
Challenges: #2018NewRelease
Goodreads ~ Amazon

Synopsis
Oscar night.
Rock star legend, Ashland Keys should be on top of the world, but the blond blue-eyed SoCal surfer is disillusioned with fame, done with drugs, bored with the groupies and sick of all the fake f*ckery.
A rising star, Fanny Bay is nominated for best original song in the same category as the Dirt Dogs band, but the novel redhead with the corkscrew curls and the slight Canadian accent would prefer to chart a course with a different destination.
Hollywood is not for her.
He's full of regrets, darkness and secrets.
She's full of hope and light and has mysteries of her own.
He's her reserved hero.
She's his gypsy rose.
He's water. She's fire. Together, they don't make sense.
But he's what she's always wanted, and she just might be everything he needs.




Omigosh did I love Oceanside! This whole series has been fabulous - the backstories, the romance, the friendships. But Oceanside...it's unique. Ash, the drummer for the now-retired Dirt Dogs, isn't your everyday hero. And Fanny is not your conventional heroine. They're from different worlds and they're opposites for sure...him dark, her light. But their story was captivating.

Highlights:

  • Gripping
    I was immediately pulled into the story despite it having been a year since I read the last installment.
  • Character Development
    Character development is a strength of Mankin's and she showed her prowess here. Ash is such a complex guy with all his rules and boundaries. I could feel his inflexibility and I understood the why's of his rules and his actions in regards to Fanny. Fanny was so mature for her age. She'd lived through quite a lot and even if I didn't agree with all her decisions, they all came from her heart and her desire to do right by those she loved.
  • Chemistry
    The chemistry between Fanny and Ash was palpable but there was also just that something there that pulled them toward one another.
  • Secondary Characters
    I, of course, loved spending time with Linc & Simone, and Karen & Ramone, who I met in the previous installments but I also adored a new character, Hollie. Mankin created a strong cast of characters to inhabit this series and the addition of Hollie only added to the depth of this story.
  • Suspense
    A big part of the plot was suspenseful and kept me turning the pages wondering if and when things would go south for Fanny.
  • Reason Behind Ash's Behavior
    I'm being vague here on purpose but know that Mankin did a tremendous in conveying how Ash felt about this and how he dealt with it.
  • Shakespeare
    Being a fan of Shakespeare myself, I loved how Mankin wove in meaningful and relevant quotes.

You can read Oceanside without having read Outside or Riptide but why deprive yourself of meeting all these characters and getting their stories in order? I'm not sure if Oceanside is the end of the road for this series but I do feel confident in saying we haven't seen the last of these characters. And I, for one, am thrilled with the prospect. But this was a great way to wrap up the series with the original Dirt Dogs members. I hope you'll give them all a try.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??