Sunday, April 13, 2014

**LGBT Month**

LGBT Month

LGBT Month is hosted by Cayce @Fighting Dreamer and Laura @Laura Plus Books. It runs through the month of April and it's meant to celebrate LGBT readers, LGBT authors, and LGBT books!

The event has no real rules. All you need to do is read and share LGBT books, in order to spread acceptance of LGBT. There is a Read-Along that you can participate in, if you're interested. 

To sign up, here's what you need to do:

  • Link up to your blog/channel/Goodreads/Twitter (you can find the linky by clicking the banner at the top of this post)
  • Write a sign up post!

I was thrilled to learn of this event (thanks, Lexxie @Unconventional Book Views AND Robyn @ Robgirlbooks) because it really speaks to my desire for creating a world without hate. And if we can do a little to move towards that through reading, then I'm all for it. :)

As I was thinking about books I have read with a LGBT theme, I decided I'd mention a few that dealt with the repercussions of prejudices.

If I LieIf I Lie was a touching read about the damage done when a girl is asked to lie in order to protect her boyfriend. She in turn suffers when she's seen as a cheater and a traitor by those who would treat her boyfriend the same way if they knew the secret.






SpeechlessSpeechless is another YA tale of the toll of prejudice and hate. When the words of a young woman lead to tragic consequences for a young man, she takes a vow of silence to prove a point.







Rough, Raw, and Ready (Rough Riders, #5)Trevor and Edgard are two characters from Lorelei James' Rough Riders series. (although they appear is several books, Rough, Raw, and Ready is their story) They are bi-sexual men and it's not easy to be so in the world of rodeo cowboys. I admire them both so much because they found a way to make their lifestyle work and build a happy life, even if they occasionally have to deal with the prejudices of others in their small Wyoming town.






Stripped CleanI'm really hoping to read Stripped Clean before the end of the month. Lexxie reviewed it back in December (review here) and it sounds amazing!

5 comments:

  1. Oh awesome! I am all for anything against hate and prejudice myself. I love how you chose other books where you found prejudice issues as well. I'm pretty sure the only book that I've read that would count is The Hollows. Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't read any books that fall in the LGBT category. If I Lie sounds like a good place to start. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Speechless but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I think I have If I Lie on my Kindle. I'm happy to see so many bloggers signing up for this. I just did my sign up post today - I always seem to be fashionably late, lol! I agree with you, too, about creating a world without hate. People aren't born hating others; people are taught and socialized into prejudice and discrimination. Sometimes I have little hope in humans, while other times I feel like we're capable of stopping the hate and learning to love instead. I'm proud to say that my husband and I agree on teaching our kids that there are all kinds of people in the world out there with all kinds of different beliefs and if they end up being gay, then we're accepting them with open arms no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a terrific event! I always suspected the angle on If I Lie, but still havent read it.
    I was thinking of LGBTQ books I've read, and two that stand out are Hushed by Kelley York and Ask the Passengers by AS King.
    I look forward to seeing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of those, but I did add Stripped Clean after Lexxie's review too! That girl and her reviews. I think my favorite gay character has to be Warren in the Mercy Thompson series. I just love him! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??