Tuesday, April 8, 2014

**Teaser Tuesdays ~ #13**

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:


• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!




***


Bird After Bird
Bird After Bird by Leslea Tash
Release Date: April 7, 2014
Genre: Contemporary Romance

Synopsis
Dear Birdy, Princess Birdzilla von MuffinStuff, Keeper of Dreams, Love of our Fine Feathered Friends, queen of my life and light of my world, I hope this letter finds you well. If you are reading this then I am gone, and sweetheart, I am so sorry.

Chi-town professional Wren Riley is 25 and a rising star in the business world. She can eat a man alive and laugh about it to her girlfriends in seconds flat--and she does, on the regular. Behind the power suits and the flashing, flirty eyes,  however, Wren has a secret, vulnerable side. Following a devastating loss and the discovery of a bird journal she and her father made together years before, Wren sets out to seek peace, closure, and something she just can't name. Is that something tied to the little paper cranes she keeps finding along the way?

Laurence Byrd grew up a lanky Hoosier kid with the good/bad fortune of having the same name as the state's perennial basketball legend. With a better affinity for dogs than sports or school, he ends up in the Army instead of the Chicago art school of his dreams. Still, his service to our country is something he can be proud of--until an argument with the girl who means the world to him results in a series of events that blows his life apart. With no one left to understand him, black sheep Laurie pours out his heart into letters and drawings he never intends to send--then he folds them into paper cranes that he leaves behind like messages in little winged bottles. He never dreams someone might be finding them.

God damn it, Sylvia, for a few moments I tricked myself into feeling really alive. I cut it off before anyone got hurt, but just for a moment or two, I really thought I might feel something again--something like trust. Something like love. Not the kind of love we had, but something new. Something like hope.

Spoiler alert: Wren and Laurie are going to meet. And when they do, their lives are never going to be the same.


**Teaser**

And that's when the idea took flight. I'd use Dad's journal and retrace our Big Year. I'd take my time, stretching out the days and reading those entries one at a time. Obviously I wanted to gobble them up, to feel my dad's presence again, but I hadn't gotten this far in life by jumping into emotion, by wallowing in grief.

No, I was going to reread the journal entries one at a time, bird after bird, just like Dad and I had made them.

6 comments:

  1. It's sad that she lost her dad, but good that she's not wallowing in grief.
    Hope you enjoyed the book Brandee.

    My TT @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice tease! Hope you enjoy the rest!

    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! This sounds like a really emotional story! That teaser is bittersweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an emotional read! I can't wait for your review. I like that Wren has some growing pains ahead of her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a really great teaser! I'm looking forward to your review, Brandee. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a really good tease! Makes me very curious about this one. Cannot wait to see what you think of it.

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??