Monday, April 7, 2014

**Review ~ Nearly Mended ~ Devon Ashley**

Nearly Mended (Nearly, #2)
Nearly Mended by Devon Ashley
Nearly #2
Release: April 7, 2014
New Adult Romantic Suspense / Dark Realistic Fiction

SynopsisGod help me…Zander isn’t the worst thing out there.

Megan Whitaker desperately wants to forget what the Malone brothers have done to her over the past two years – the haunting images and sensations still plaguing her thoughts and dreams – but she can’t. Charles may be dead, but Zander isn’t. I’ll find you and bring you back to me. She wants to believe she’s safe with Nick in
their secluded new home, but it doesn’t keep her from looking over her shoulder, jumping over unexpected sounds, carrying a concealed weapon or even preparing for the worst. 

Nick Ellis has seen a change in his long, lost love. Battered emotionally and physically, Megan spends her days at self-defense classes and researching things that’ll never allow her to let go of the past. And he feels guilty even asking her to, because he knows that heathen will return, it’s only a matter of time. And when he does, Nick will do anything to save her, even the unthinkable, risking everything he’s fought so hard to get back.

But there is no escaping the world of sex trafficking, nor the band of men who continually aid one another to keep it thriving. And as her nightmares begin to converge with reality, Megan realizes there are far worse people to fear than the one who haunts her dreams.

Recommended for 17+ for mature and disturbing situations, language and sexual content.





**Please note that Nearly Mended is the second book in a series. I've tried to be as non-spoilery as possible in my review. If you'd like to read my review of Nearly Broken, click here.**

Holy wow!! Nearly Mended was one suspenseful read! How much can one girl take? Apparently, quite a lot. This was such an exciting continuation of Megan's story. 

Nearly Mended picks back up where Nearly Broken left off with Megan trying to heal from the ordeal she suffered at the hands of the Malone brothers. She's changed - how could she not? The traumas she endured have her doing her best to learn all she can in order to prevent ever being in that situation again. Or to at least be able to better extract herself from it. Despite Nick being at her side, Megan can't help but count the minutes until Zander comes for her again. Because no matter whatever else Zander is, he's a man of his word, and he promised he'd be back for Megan. BUT Megan never loses that spirit that's so her. It's what kept her alive in the first place and I was happy to see it still present, even if a little dimmer.

Nick - bless his heart - is trying to do all he can to protect Megan and help her heal, but there's only so much he can do. Especially since Megan won't let him into her thoughts.

And then Zander does come...

Megan's time in captivity is a little different this time. Zander is different. I hate to admit it, just as Megan did, but I started to care about Zander! What?!? That's not what I was expecting. Nearly Mended did a lot of character development for me. In particular, I admired how much stronger Megan became. It was interesting how/when it occurred, but I respected her conviction to do what needed to be done. Nick is still Nick - showing Megan that he'd do anything in his power to protect and/or save her. But it's Zander who showed a completely different side of himself. A side that had me wondering who the real Zander is. His new behavior doesn't excuse what he's done in the past or to Megan, but I found my feelings toward him softening. Dammit!

This series deals with a difficult topic - sex trafficking. I found Nearly Mended to be equally as anxiety-producing as the first in the series. It's also just as disturbing. The ending is a bit of a cliffhanger and I have no idea where Ms. Ashley is going to take the story from here. But I'm extremely anxious to find out. Write faster, Ms. Ashley...please! 


3 comments:

  1. Wait...Megan began to care for Zander?? And you did too?! I did not see that coming. I really hope it's not a case of falling for the captor. I'm scared!
    Great review, Brandee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a very different kind of book, well at least for me. I think I need to check this series out. Although, cliffhangers hurt my heart so maybe I'll wait for the series to be completed lol Great review!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds intense, and trafficking is such an important topic. Need to add to wishlist

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??