Friday, October 10, 2014

**Blogger 'Duel' Review ~ Rock Chick Chat on Rock Chick Regret ~ Kristen Ashley**

FYI - still the best bet I ever lost. :) Also FYI, Robyn and I are continuing the *tradition* of betting on football and we'll be reading another book of my choice, since the Broncos LOST once again to the Seahawks. Oh, and we will absolutely be reading and chatting about other KA series.

***


Rock Chick Regret (Rock Chick, #7)Rock Chick Regret
Rock Chick #7
Genre: Adult, Contemporary Romance
Release Date:
Source: I purchased an ecopy from Amazon
Rating: 5 Bookworms

Synopsis
Sadie Townsend is known by all as The Ice Princess and she's worked hard to earn her reputation. Her father, a now-incarcerated Drug Lord, has kept her under his thumb her whole life and she's learned enough from living in his world to give everyone the cold shoulder. But one inebriated night, she shows the Real Sadie to the undercover agent she knows is investigating her father, the handsome Hector Chavez, and he knows he'll stop at nothing to have her.

Hector makes one (huge) mistake; he waits for Sadie to come to him. Tragedy strikes and Sadie's got a choice, she can retreat behind her Ice Fortress or she can embrace the Rock Chick/Hot Bunch World. Guided by Hector, the Rock Chicks, the Hot Bunch and her new gay roommates, Buddy and Ralphie, Sadie negotiates a life out from under her father's thumb, a life that includes poison, arson and learning how to make s'mores.

***

Man, I thought Mace & Stella's story had a different feel. I've spent so much time crying over Hector & Sadie's and I'm only on chapter 4.

Okay, one thing that's standing out the most to me is Sadie. She's not the typical Rock Chick. It's very interesting that KA created a Rock Chick that's...well, she's not weak. She's actually a smart and touch chick but she seems so much more fragile. Is that a good word for her? It fits with her looking like a fairy princess, I suppose. Does she seem fragile to you? Fragile and yet she'll jump in with both feet to send her drug dealing daddy to prison. Hmm...

Hector...ay, Dios mio! Yes, I speak some Spanish and Hector Chavez is mm-mmm. (by the way, that sentiment is the same in both Spanish and English) I can't imagine the regret he feels over the actions he took. But he's so tender with Sadie. He knows he has to handle her with kid gloves and he's managing. He's a hot-headed hottie. But he's completely different from his brother. And although I like Eddie, I like Hector's brand of machismo better. I love that he's determined to bring out the 'real' Sadie - the one he seems to see even if Sadie isn't that acquainted with her.

Okay, back to Hector....

***

My goodness do I like Sadie. And for completely different reasons than I've liked any of the other Rock Chicks. I'm loving the comparison to a fairy princess, because that whole dream she had which she remembered when she walked into Hector's house? Awesome!

I was really, really happy that KA dealt with the after-affects of rape. I was kinda worrying that things would just move forward so I was relieved when bumps on the road were hit. (bad analogy?)

Hector...seriously in the running for #1 Hot Bunch. That he's so compassionate, gentle, patient with Sadie is winning me over. I know he's a hot-headed guy but he's not being pushy with Sadie at all. Oh and that tattoo??? **SWOON** 

Ralphie and Buddy make me smile. And Shirleen planning the menu for an art opening was classic! Pigs in a blanket...made with croissants because that's classier. OMG! I haven't seen the other cast members all that much and Tex *still* steals his scenes! And that they're ALL so accepting of Sadie - even though she thinks she is undeserving and doesn't belong - is heartening.

*cocks head* Oh, Hector's calling... ;)

This one does have a totally different vibe. Sadie isn't immediately endearing like the rest of the girls. She's so good being cold when threatened, she goes cold at the slightest hiccup. I think Sadie is more vulnerable, at least the sweet side of her is because her sweet side is like a fledgling with no armor. 

Oh Hector. Man, that guy. I love how different he is from Eddie. They're both Alpha bossy males, but Eddie would have pushed Sadie back to her icy mountaintop forever. I think of all the males we've read about so far, Hector carries and uses his guilt differently. He didn't wallow once or push Sadie away. He's a thinker first. All the other guys were charge in and throw shit kind of men. Perfect for Sadie who is also a thinker. She's so much of a dang thinker she divided up her personalities. She's nutty!

I was trying to think of standout characters for this one, but everyone showed up and bedazzled me. Duke. Tex. Marcus! I was so happy to have some scenes with Daisy's husband. Buddy and Ralphie, they are so freaking awesome. I love them.

***

Yep, Hector is edging out Hank. No worries. I have enough book girlfriend love for all of them. It's so neat that she looks like a fairy princess and has premeditated personality shifts, not always, but she goes into things with a plan who she's going to be. The need to discover who she is has to be one of my favorite things about her. How can you not root for her? Of course I love the Veronica Mars tie-in. I love how Buddy and Ralphie gave her so much love and helped her climb out of that terrible dark place she had to have been in. KA did a great job handling the rape storyline, I just wasn't so sure about how often Sadie said the word rape out loud. That seemed...not realistic. Then again, Sadie doesn't mince words. She's a straight shooter.

Tex always steals the show. I love his whole "VIP!" mixed in with yelling and swearing to clear the line at Fortnums. He does it with every Rock Chick. Duke, I'm telling you, he knows how to pick his freaking moments. I want him to have a chat with me and straighten me out. I felt terrible for Lee for a while, even more than Hector. What a beginning, huh? Heavy. 

I just realized one thing for sure that's different about this one, there was not competing Hot Bunch guy. Right? KA ran out I think. Say it ain't so! I love how welcoming Blanca is to Sadie. I just love it. And I love when Sadie has moments when she's not thinking how she'll react. She just does and that's Hector's Sadie that he usually messes up telling her. Have you noticed he's not a "sorry" man? He's a "this is me" guy. Sadie's the best one for him. 

Aww, she didn't endear herself to you immediately? Getting the inner monologue made me understand her actions right off so I liked her from the start. She is definitely good at being the Ice Princess...until she isn't. But you're right about the sweet side of her being like a fledgling without armor. That's a really good comparison. 

I'm in love with Hector. True. I can't think of the exact moment it happened right now - it might have been the "I'm not fucking around anymore" speech. But LOVE.HIM. He is a gentle alpha, much like Hank. The difference is that Hector says so much with his actions where Hank's good with his words. Of course, Hector has good words too...like the point where he tells Sadie all her Sadies make up her. He just melts me into a puddle of goo.

Yes, there aren't any standout characters this time...they ALL are! I loved getting some good Marcus, too. Ralphie and Buddy made me love them. And Jack made a big impact even if he's only present a very little while. I want Duke to set you and me both straight! He does know just what to say and when to say it, doesn't he? He's awesome. I can hear his voice so clearly and even feel his hugs. They ALL make me comfy, warm, safe. I sooo get it now. I get the message that we can do anything with our friends by our sides.

***

*haha* Yeah, I have enough love for them all too but Hector is definitely edging out all the other Hot Bunch hotties. 

I like that you mentioned Sadie's need to discover who she is because I was thinking that this book, more than any of the others, has been a journey of personal discovery for our Rock Chick. And watching that journey is one of my most favorite things. It broke my heart to think that Sadie hadn't ever experienced some things we take for granted....like smores. Or having girlfriends to have coffee with.  

I really am pleased with how KA handled Sadie's recovery from the rape. And I didn't think anything about her use of the word. I guess because, like you said, she's a straight-shooter and doesn't mince words. Especially once she's thought about things, gotten mad, or clicked a certain Sadie into place. So while it might not be realistic for some, it seemed to fit with Sadie.

Hector is a "this is me" kinda guy and you can take him or leave him, he doesn't care. It's ironic that he doesn't say he's sorry and Sadie is constantly apologizing for things she has no control over. Yep, they're perfect for one another.

Hmm, it didn't occur to me that we hadn't had a rivalry for Sadie in this one. But you're right. And she's been with other Hot Bunch hotties... Ren sure didn't make Hector happy when he touched Sadie but he didn't make any moves. And, well, we know how that one works out. Maybe there wasn't a rivalry because of all the Rock Chicks, Sadie's the one least likely to accept any advances?? 

It made me exceptionally warm and gooey feeling that everyone so quickly accepted Sadie...but especially Hector's family. Blanca accepted her more readily that Jet, don't you think? And that one was fast too. I also love Sadie's reactions to all the hugs, kisses, and acceptance she's been given. I've giggled over her painting, sanding, etc. at Hector's house. And I cried...boo-hooed! - over what she said to her dad about what living a good life was, in her opinion. True, that.

I finished reading Rock Chick Regret. Holy cow I loved this one so much!!! Hector is plain awesome. His brand of alpha is the most appealing to me. He's not physically controlling. He has fits and mood swings which just make him more real. He handles Sadie with such care and patience. Sadie won me over instantly because we had the inside track, but that first scene with Indy and Shirleen and the complete freeze out, it's the first time one of the Rock Chicks didn't think the upcoming Rock Chick was badass. 

I cracked up at how much Sadie loved fixing up Hector's house. When she had paint all over her, I could see this woman who showed the world a perfect Sadie and then she got to be a kid. Her dad is sure a complex character, that's for sure. You know what would be kind of fun, the old guys getting stuck on some winter retreat, cops and sort of and not sort of bad guys and they all have to solve some mystery together. Cliche maybe, but how fun would it be to see Duke and Tex there too? That's another fanfic I vote for us writing. 

I couldn't get over Jerry...that he felt so entitled to Sadie that he'd do whatever he felt like in order to get what he felt was his due. Ugh! What a creep! And Marcus got to be a good guy again! Yay!!

That scene between Sadie and her dad was fan-freaking-tastic! I was so proud of Sadie...the real Sadie for standing up to him and asking for what she deserved...her dad.

That last 'talk' Hector and Sadie had - I was so thrilled that she held her ground and told him, just as he'd told her, how it was going to be. I love the real Sadie.

The epilogue...loved that. Hector's explanation of Ally and Ren was great. And that Christmas morning scene...god I love Hector. And Sadie sure does too! 

Can I say that I think it's kinda amusing (like I'm fighting a grin) that we just might end up being in love with the same Hot Bunch hottie?!? Hector is firmly in first place in my heart.

***
Oh yeah, you're right. The Rock Chicks were definitely NOT on the Sadie bandwagon. And that's the first time we've seen them be really kinda catty, huh? I mean, they were nicer to those gals that were 'friends' of Indy's...well, until that bar brawl anyway. :)

I love that fanfic idea! It would be so much fun to see all those males together. :)

Sorry I've slacked on our RC chat! Jerry was something that's for sure. Of course I hated him from the start, but still, he racked up more hate points as the story went on. There was still kidnapping in this one, but totally different than the other ones. Sadie was so badass and not because she kicked ass, but because like Hector always says, she has an iron will. Oh, Hector. Of course we'd fall for the same Hot Bunch Hottie. Luke has the weird mustache thing. Seriously, that drives me crazy and not in a good way. Eddie does all that physical pushing around. Lee was made for one girl. But Hector, oh man. He pushes the right buttons. Christmas day rocked. 

I can't wait to read Ren and Ally's story, but then again, procrastinating sounds like a great plan. I'm not ready to close out the series. We do have a good consolation plan...writing a bit of fanfic, but still! It's been such a fun ride, Brandee!!

Yeah I loved how Hector kept repeating 'will of iron'. He totally makes me swoon. And of course we'd both fall for the same Hot Bunch hottie. 

I am not minding the idea of procrastinating on Ally and Ren's story. I hate for this ride to be over. But you're right, we do have some fun on tap. And lots more KA to read. ;) Ooh, and the fanfic...that's intimidating. *haha*

My final thoughts...

I'm so impressed at KA's ability to keep this series fresh and entertaining. This latest installment, there's plenty of drama, action, and intrigue to go along with the romance. But I felt this story was, more than any of it's predecessors, a story of self-discovery for Sadie. And although it was more than a little difficult at times, that journey was a pleasure to witness. It really drove home KA's message that if you have friends, you're never alone.

All with the added bonus of one Hector Chavez, who is now the reigning Hot Bunch Hottie in my heart. He is the perfect blend of alpha and gentleman. There isn't a more perfect man for Sadie, that's for sure.

Add in the entire RC cast, along with a few newbies, and the story has heart, depth, and it's a lot of fun. This just might be my favorite RC yet!

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I love how you decide what to read next based on which football team wins. #1 is in a pool at work, and constantly tells me about his 'picks', so even though I don't partake, I definitely understand where you're coming from. Anyway... You two really had a lot of say about this one; it makes me wonder why it's not already on my TBR. Nice tag team review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my first ever bet and what a win for both of us! You are so right that this was more of a story of self-discovery. Man I'm crazy about Hector. We definitely have more bets and buddy reads in our future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute dual review. I haven't read this series yet but judging from your review!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ayiyiyiy Hector! Ole!

    I don't know what's going on here but if you like it I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just because I'm really behind in this series, I kind of skipped your review, Brandee and Robyn... but I'm thrilled you keep loving the Rock Chick series! I really have to catch up - it's filled with both hotness and humor, and I really loved the first book in the series.

    I hope you're enjoying your weekend, Brandee! Do you have band competitions going on again? The boys have games every day once more, and I also hosted a b-day party for one of my friends from Uni tonight. We had a great time! Good food, yummy drinks and excellent company :D

    I miss you lots! I hope we'll be able to chat soon. *BIG HUGS*

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. GAH. This one was rough. I still loved it, and yes, like you, I'm glad that KA dealt realistically with this subject, but MAN, did I have a crying induced headache by the time I was finished. On a brighter note, I am SO happy you guys are going to keep up with the KA series. If I haven't already, might I suggest THE 'BURG? :D :D :D Great review/post/thingy!!

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??