Thursday, October 30, 2014

**New Adult Review ~ True ~ Erin McCarthy**


True (True Believers, #1)True
True Believers #1
Release Date: May 7, 2013
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary Romance
Source: Checked out from library
Rating: 4 Bookworms
Goodreads

Synopsis
When Rory Macintosh's roommates find out that their studious and shy friend has never been with a guy, they decide that, as an act of kindness they'll help her lose her virginity by hiring confident, tattooed bad boy Tyler Mann to do the job...unbeknownst to Rory.

Tyler knows he's not good enough for Rory. She's smart, doctor smart, while he's barely scraping by at his EMT program, hoping to pull his younger brothers out of the hell their druggy mother has left them in. But he can't resist taking up her roommates on an opportunity to get to know her better. There's something about her honesty that keeps him coming back when he knows he shouldn't...

Torn between common sense and desire, the two find themselves caught up in a passionate relationship. But when Tyler's broken family threatens to destroy his future, and hers, Rory will need to decide whether to cut her ties to his risky world or follow her heart, no matter what the cost...




Oh, the emotions this story evoked! Watching Rory evolve from this awkward, closed-off young woman into a vibrant, more self-assured one - all while staying true to herself - was wonderful.

Rory is a girl I immediately connected with. I, too, was always the girl on the outside, watching everyone around me. I have trouble letting people in as well. Witnessing Rory go through this transformation - seeing her great epiphanies about human nature and relationships - well, it touched me in a significant way.I did not identify with Rory's logical side, however. Math and I are not good friends. :) But I appreciated how McCarthy used it in developing Rory and explaining how she approached life.

Tyler - of my goodness. Now only is he a tattooed bad boy, but he knows his literature equally as well as he knows his way around the family body. ;) He had me mooning over him just as much as Rory. And when he said:
"It was never about sex for me, it was always about me wanting to be with you, getting to know you."
I was a goner! He's absolutely right and being a part of he and Rory getting to know one another - showing parts of themselves they've never shown anyone - EVER - made the foundation they were building all the stronger. The odds were definitely against these tow making it. They are very different, from two different worlds. But they seemed made for one another. 
"Because we both see beyond what other people see about us. We both know that sometimes the best things are below the surface. When I look at you, I see this amazingly smart, funny, generous, and beautiful girl. Did you know that?"
Rory learned some lessons about living that even in my 40's, I need to heed, like:
"Being a loner was ultimately selfish, and if you never gave of yourself, you never got in return."
True also introduced us to the characters we'll be learning more about in the series. I'm not sure what I think of Rory's roommates Kylie and Jessica. In so many ways, I see the do care about Rory and were acting in her best interests. But the ways they behaved were befuddling - especially the vulnerable/confident flip-flop. I'm eager to see them grow.

On a personal, and geeky, note, I was delighted in how McCarthy used literature to teach Rory. For instance, this epiphany occurred while she and Tyler were discussing A Streetcar Named Desire...


"All their relationships are delusional, from what I can tell. Blanche hides in the dark so men don't guess her real age, she and her sister pretend that nothing bad has ever happened, Stanley doesn't do anything but play poker and boss Stella around. If they would just like communicate with each other, they could resolve all their issues in ten minutes."
"That's what makes the book so realistic," he told me dryly.
"Real people don't discuss shit with each other."
He had a point. I didn't really discuss my emotions with anyone, either. I had spent most of my life being a silent observer. "Oh."
In one fell swoop, I got it. Literature wasn't intended to be about perfect people, it was about flaws, very real and very deep human flaws.


9 comments:

  1. Squee!! What a beautiful review! I loved this one too! Rory was a girl I connected to as well. I lurved Tyler, he really is a sweet guy. I enjoyed how McCarthy put this story together too!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    PS I was way off... that first quote was at 61% of my book *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked that Rory is a bit of an outcast, at her age I was too, so relating to her character should be easy. And, Tyler is book smart AND tattooed?? Where has he been all of my life! ;) My inner geek would be equally pleased with that Streetcar Named Desire convo you mentioned. Kylie and Jessica seem like they have a lot of potential for growth, hopefully you won't have to wait too long for their story.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this does sound good! I think I got a weebit of this chills with that last quote, using a streetcar name desire (gah i love that play!). Fantastic review Brandee - that loner quote got me thinking too, since I've become more and more of a loner over the years and I often feel guilty for avoiding friends. I just don't like to go out or even spend a lot of time on the phone, but that kind of made me realize why I feel guilty about it - it is a bit selfish. Damn books and the way they make us think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thrilled you loved True, Brandee! I did too. The guys in this series are so amazing. I can't wait for you do read Jess and Riley's book. It's my favorite. And yes, the wired you shared eye some of my favorite, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds good and, considering I'm devouring NA Romances and loving them more and more every day, I think this should be on my TBR list! Thanks for reviewing, Brandee!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of those books everyone seems to love but for some reason I just never pick it up... I think something is wrong with me because clearly it is a good read and clearly you loved it. Maybe one of these days I will finally make time for it. Great review!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  7. bah for some reason I was on the fence with these, I don't remember why. Maybe it was all the mixed reviews, that I just decided I had no time for it. Glad to here you really enjoyed it o.o i may have to reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, Brandee. As you know, I read this one myself recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. Tyler is all kinds of yummy hot.
    Thanks for reminding me and sharing all of those awesome little quotes.

    Marilyn @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??