Thursday, October 16, 2014

**That's What HE Said ~ #15**



That's What He Said is a weekly meme hosted by the lovely ladies @Chapter Break. Here's the deal: every Thursday, post a line from your book boyfriend to his heroine. Keep in mind, these are direct quotes from dialog in the books. The quote doesn't have to be romantic - just something our hunky hero said to his lucky lady. Be sure to link up over at Chapter Break as well.

A friend of mine *cough-Robyn-cough* recently read Slammed for the first time. And it's left me feeling nostalgic for that story. So my pick this week for That's What He Said is from:

Slammed by Colleen Hoover


***

I used to love the ocean.
Everything about her.
Her coral reefs, her white caps, her roaring waves, the rocks they lap, her pirate legends and mermaid tales,
Treasures lost and treasures held...
And ALL
Of her fish
In the sea.
Yes, I used to love the ocean,
Everything about her.
The way she would sing me to sleep as I lay in my bed
then wake me with a force
That I soon came to dread.
Her fables, her lies, her misleading eyes,
I'd drain her dry
If I cared enough to.
I used to love the ocean,
Everything about her.
Her coral reefs, her white caps, her roaring waves, the rocks they lap, her pirate legends and mermaid tales, treasures lost and treasures held.
And ALL
Of her fish
In the sea.
Well, if you've ever tried navigating your sailboat through her stormy seas, you would realize that her white caps
are your enemies. If you've ever tried swimming ashore when your  leg gets a cramp and you just had a huge meal of In-n-Out burgers that's weighing you down, and her roaring waves are knocking the wind out of you, filling your lungs with water as you flail your arms, trying to get someone's attention, but your friends
just
wave
back at you?
And if you've ever grown up with dreams in your head about life, and how one of these days you would pirate your own ship and have your own crew and that all of he mermaids
would love
only
you?
Well, you would realize...
Like I eventually realized...
That all the good things about her?
All the beautiful?
It's not real.
It's fake
So you keep your ocean,  
I'll take the Lake.


This is essentially Will's declaration of love to Layken (Lake) via poem. *sigh*

18 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I read this book. Will is awesome. Thanks for reminding me.
    Happy Thursday! Hope you're week is going great, Brandee.

    Marilyn @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a few years since I read it too, Marilyn. But it's one of those that really sticks with me. :) I hope you're having a great week as well!!

      Delete
  2. *sighs* Will *sighs*

    I also loved this book in audio! The poetry was even better when it was performed by the narrator! Awesome quote, my dear *BIG HUGS*

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Lexxie. :)

      I think I am going to get it in audio because I've really been wanting to re-read it ever since you listened to it. And then Robyn read it last week. So now I'm really itching to read it again. This is just such an incredible story!

      I hope your Thursday was grand! **BIG HUGS**

      Delete
  3. Can you believe I haven't read this series? Thanks for sharing that great quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Andrea, I can't believe it. It's something you should read!! But make sure you have tissues at the ready. :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I love all the poetry in Slammed, Braine. But CHoover's words really are lyrical and it's a beautiful, if very emotional, story.

      Delete
  5. I love these posts. That was definitely poetic and true in a way. It has me curious to know more about the relationship to see what it all came about from. Thanks so much for sharing :D Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jaclyn, Slammed is such an incredible read. I know it's not your usual fare but maybe, someday, you'll be in the mood for a contemporary. Just make sure you have tissues. :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! I'm thinking I'm going to have to give it a listen so I an re-read it. :)

      Delete
  7. Love it! Have you watched to youtube video that Colleen Hoover posted of a guy reading/performing this? here is the link: Slammed: Lake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't seen it, Rose. Thanks for the link. I'm off to check it out. :) Oh, and I think I'm going to re-read via audio soon!

      Delete
  8. Ooo, I haven't read this. Sounds fantastic, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Brandee... I am now a damn puddle of swoon... Will Cooper... I love him.... I love him so damn much. Definitely an all time favorite of mine and I loved reading this moment again.

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's quite some poem! And then to find out there's a girl out there named Layken? *sigh* so sweet (though I'm still an ocean girl lol)

    ReplyDelete
  11. *Ducks head* I haven't read Slammed yet, I have it on my shelf! One day I hope!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??