Friday, July 10, 2015

#2015HW #ShelfLove Review ~ Raphael ~ DB Reynolds

Raphael (Vampires in America, #1)Raphael
Vampires in America #1
Release Date: April 15, 2009
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Source: Purchased on Kindle
Rating: 4.5 Bookworms

Synopsis
Malibu, California - home to rock-and-roll gods and movie stars, the beautiful, the rich...and vampires.

Powerful and charismatic, Raphael is a Vampire Lord, one of the few who hold the power of life and death over every vampire in existence. Thousands call him Master and have pledged absolute loyalty on their very lives. But when, in a brazen and deadly daylight attack, a gang of human killers kidnaps the one female vampire he'd give his life for, Raphael turns to a human investigator to find his enemies before it's too late.

Cynthia Leighton is smart, tough and sexy, a private investigator and former cop who's tired of spying on cheating spouses and digging out old bank accounts. When Raphael asks for her help in tracking down the kidnappers, Cyn's happy to accept. But she soon realizes her greatest danger comes not from the humans by from Raphael himself.

Battling Russian mobsters and treacherous vampires, and betrayed by those they trusted, Cyn and Raphael find themselves fighting for their lives while caught up in a passion of blood and violence that is destined by destroy them both.



Wow! This is a book I'd had on my TBR for so long and I one-clicked it after reading Lorna's (@Rabid Reads) review. Clearly I should trust my instincts and read books I'm intrigued with, rather than waiting, despite not seeing recent reviews from my blogging friends. THANKS, Lorna for lighting a fire under me. ;) It took Lorna liking Raphael to spur me into action - and while I'm grateful for the kick in the pants, I'm sorely disappointed in myself for having put off a great story for so long!

Cynthia Leighton is a former cop and current PI. She is one touch chick with confidence in her abilities to do her job, wit, and absolutely no belief in love. She's taken on a case that's going to test her limits in all areas - especially her ideas about love.

Raphael is a Vampire Lord in the West. He's powerful, gorgeous, cunning, and arrogant. He's lived a long time, earned the respect that feeds that arrogance. But someone dear to him was taken and it seems there's a traitor in his midst. And he's hired Cynthia to help him root out that traitor.

Reynolds has created a fascinating world in which the vampires are "out" and are very powerful. However, they tend to keep a low profile and not much is known about them. The dynamics and politics within vampire society, while not explicitly described, are also intriguing. The suspense element was well done even if there wasn't much mystery. I was anxiously flipping pages to see what Cyn would do next. The resolution to the danger is the only thing keeping this from being 5 Bookworms, as I felt it wrapped up a tad too easily - especially after all Cyn had endured. It should also be noted that Reynolds doesn't put a bow on the story. This is the first in a series and Cyn and Raphael's story continues. It is a story I'm quite eager to continue as I'm very curious where this couple goes from here.

Another element worth mentioning is the supporting cast introduced. Duncan, Raphael's lieutenant, is one vamp I'd like to get to know better. And Cyn's training partner, Eckhoff, also has me curious. Cyn's sister, Holly, is a character who, if she's present in future installments, I'm going to love hating.

Raphael is a very well-written introduction to the Vampires in America series. It's an exciting and pleasurable read! If you've had it on your TBR, I highly recommend you get on to reading it. :)




3 comments:

  1. Well, I knew nothing about this, but yay for more vamp books! I'll check it out <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great read Brandee! Has great characters and a plot you can get swept away in. A shame you felt that the ending wrapped up too quickly. Fingers crossed for more of Duncan and Eckhoff!

    Naomi @ Naomi’s Reading Palace

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you loved this! I liked the second one as well, but I need to light a fire under me to read the third. I just cant get to all the books I want to read :)

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??