Friday, July 31, 2015

Travel by the Book ~ Kauai


Welcome to Travel by the Book. I know for most of us, reading is an escape. One of the things I love about reading it getting to travel. And I'm sure I'm not the only reader who has wished to take a trip inspired by a place I read about in a book. I've been fortunate in that my Hubs is kind enough to indulge me and take me to said places. This is where I share those vacations that were inspired by a book.



***The Book***


Flirting with Forty
Flirting with Forty is probably one of those books that I happened upon at just the right time so that it resonated deeply. Jackie, the MC, has just gone through a divorce and is learning to live life as a single mom who is quickly approaching the big 4-0. She takes a trip to Hawaii and while there she takes surfing lessons...and becomes enamored with her instructor. The feelings are reciprocated and thus, Jackie begins a new life. 

I read Flirting with Forty the year I was turning 40 and although I wasn't going through the exact life changes Jackie was, I was experiencing a 'mid-life crisis' of sorts. So reading about another woman going through similar things - well, it affected me. And, of course, put Hawaii on my travel list. :) While I didn't go off to Hawaii on my own, and I didn't learn to surf or meet a much younger, hot young man, I did go to Kauai to celebrate 20 years of being married to an older, hot man...my husband!



***The Travel***

Kauai, known as the Garden Isle, is the oldest island in Hawaii. And it's gorgeous! This is Waimea Canyon. It was created by a fault slip, rather than by water.



This is at Mount Waialeale - one of the wettest places on Earth. I believe its peak is ~5100 ft - which is over 3000 ft lower than where I live. We're looking down at the ocean.



This is a beautiful beach where we were 2 of 3 people. What?!? It's right outside of the town of Waimea.



Enjoying the beach by Kaumakani on the southwestern side of the island.



The Na Pali Coast...y'all we drove on an unimproved road, which was like driving on a washboard, parked along the side of the road once it started turning to sand, made our way over a sand dune to see this! Gorgeous!!



This is Kealia Beach and if you look carefully, you can see a surfboard sticking up out of that wave. We sat out here for hours watching the surfers as well as the surf. At one point, James asked, "Do you realize you haven't read in 3 hours?" Oh, and that a rather large piece of driftwood.



Here we are toasting to Wailua Beach. We might have had just a few beers while sitting on beaches...daily. ;)



This is Kilauea Point. It's a nature preserve and bird sanctuary. There is also a lighthouse in the background.



I have many, many more photos, of course. But I won't bore you with them all. I'll leave you with this...we didn't even scratch the surface of things to do in Kauai and we're planning to go back for our 25th anniversary. (unless our younger daughter can get daddy to take her there before then. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??