Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Rock Chick Chat ~ Own the Wind ~ Kristen Ashley

For those of you who don't know, back in February 2014, there was this little game played. You may have heard of it? The Super Bowl?? Well, in 2014 the opposing teams were the Denver Broncos (my hometown team) and the Seattle Seahawk (my friend Robyn's hometown team). Neither Robyn nor I are the betting kind of people, but how could we not? So we bet that if the Broncos won, we'd read a book set in Seattle and if the Seahawks won, we'd read a book set in Denver. Do you remember how that turned out?  :/

So we started a little series set in Denver called Rock Chick by Kristen Ashley and became HUGE fangirls as well as honorary Rock Chicks. Since fniishing the series, we've gone on to other KA series. This month we read Own the Wind, the first installment in the Chaos series. Here's out chat. I hope you enjoy it!



Own the Wind (Chaos, #1)Own the Wind
Chaos #1
Release Date: April 2, 2013
Genre: Adult, Contemporary Romance
Source: Purchased on nook
Rating: 4.5 Bookworms

Synopsis

Too hot to handle...

Tabitha Allen grew up in the think of Chaos--the Chaos Motorcycle Club, that is. Her father is Chaos' leader, and the club has always had her back. But one rider was different from the start. When Tabby was running wild, Shy Cage was there. When tragedy tore her life apart, he helped her piece it back together. And now, Tabby's thinking about much more than friendship.

Tabby is everything Shy's ever wanted by everything he thinks he can't have. She's beautiful, smart, and as his friend's daughter, untouchable. Shy never expected more than friendship, so when Tabby indicates she wants more--much more--he feels like the luckiest man alive. But even lucky men can crash and burn...



***Rock Chick Chat***

Robyn: I'm loving it! Are you loving it? I'm still at the beginning, but it's KA all the way! And Fortnums for that one second was such a thrill! How can we love a series so much that the mere glimpse of past characters feels like we just ran into old friends at the airport? 

Off to read more (of course!!)

BB: I stayed up later than I should have reading because yeah, I'm loving it! I don't know how it is that we can love a series so much that being in Fortnum's for a second was so awesome. But it certainly was. KA is an author who can just pull you in immediately. OtW does have a slightly different feel from other KA books we've read. I'm thinking maybe it's because there hasn't been anything over-the-top...at least not yet. 

***

Dang it! It's killing me to have to stop and do anything because, as with every KA book we read, all I want to do is READ!

So yeah, I'm finding that KA's distinctive voice is present in this series as well. I really do adore the cadence with which all her badass heroes speak. Shy is no different. And I adore the Tabby isn't going to take shit - not even his.

Specifically, I was cheering even as my heart cracked when Tabby told Shy he'd made judgements and he didn't know her. And as much as I delight in reading about a badass alpha, particularly one who rides a motorcycle ;) I'm going to rant on him for a minute. I could give him a pass over his error in judgement...I didn't like that he did that but I understood where it was coming from. You know? He made me a melty puddle of goo when he was there for Tabby when she needed him to be. BUT I don't understand how he could take on a *woman* when he was just passing the time. How can guys do that? And how is that fair? (in fairness, I'm ranting at the general male population, not just Shy)

I think there are some books (and some authors) that should come with pause buttons so we can stop everything around us and read our book! I'm reading and then suddenly the phone rings or the kids demand food as if they didn't eat yesterday! Rant over. KA is awesome. OtW has a different vibe than RC and you're right about the girls not being as wild. The men are alpha enough, but in a different way, less broody and more entitled. We're bikers, deal, babe. Or not and get out. This one also jumps ahead regularly where RC cuts to the past regularly with backstory that never was annoying (a hard feat). What did you think of the time jumps? 

Oh and getting the male POV first and for a while was cool. I think we needed a solid footing with Shy or he'd piss us off too much as the story went on. He does not pull punches when he needs to "sort shit out." Then we meet Tabby and she's feisty and unforgiving. I liked that she didn't melt for Shy and held a grudge and just kept holding it. I liked how pissed that made Shy. But I loved that part when he sees her in that red dress with her man and he's on his bike. I loved how that just pushed him into wanting that love for himself and not just wanting Tabby. 

So you were pissed about the side girlfriend, huh? I was shocked and not shocked and shocked some more! I didn't know how to process it. He made me love him (not as much as Tabby, but still). They cuddled. Freaking cuddled. You don't cuddle when you have a girl. Nope. I guess I'm right there with you and Tabby. Still, they both needed a fire lit or they'd friend themselves to death! 

Okay, I've read further...of course! And Shy redeemed himself a bit in my eyes. I'm glad he explained Rosalie to Tabby. That made me feel better right along with her. I still don't completely understand but I'm glad he took the time to explain. And can I just say that once Shy starts talking, the man lays it all out. Am I right? Damn! 

The next scene in Fortnum's...loved it! Tex booming VIP, slopping coffee grounds. *sigh* And Jett telling Tabby he was harmless. Good stuff! And the talk between Tabby and Shy's brother, Landon...excellent stuff! I was really kinda wishing Shy had overheard what she had to say. Because in a way, I felt those words belonged to him first and foremost. But I was glad they were out and it did need to be said to Lan.

I'm really excited to see how Tabby is going to find that *balance* she so admires between her Dad and Tyra. The way the sparks fly between her and Shy, I'm sure we're in for a hell of a ride. :)

Fortnums! More Tex and his coffee and shouting. I loved that they had coffee there and the tension building with Landon and what he had to say, I was just as nervous at the start as Tabby. And then she let him have it in a good way because it was slightly out of control like she always is when it comes to Shy. I'm thinking we'll get a Lan book, right? Maybe a Rush book too? Her brother wasn't a big part of the story but the building conflict, the fact that he's gorgeous and bossy speak to future main character potential. 

I was still conflicted about the Rosalie situation. I liked how Tabby listened and wanted to sort it out. She let Shy have his say and she could see he needed her to listen. Way more mature than I am. 

You mentioned sparks, whoa! In battle and in love. Those two. I love how they bicker. Some people bicker and you want to close your eyes and make yourself disappear. Those two fight and I want a bag of chips and a comfy seat.

I finished earlier today. Are you finished? 

Hot damn! That's what I gotta say. We've begun *another* KA series that ROCKS! Tabby is a kickass heroine. I so enjoy watching her stand up to Shy - or try to - when she feels strongly about something. Her "freeze outs" crack me up. Shy also delighted me with always knowing just what to say...even if Tabby may not like it. And I was right about those sparks flying! But dang! Watching them find the balance...that's something.

I'm glad we're getting acquainted with other characters - particularly Tack and Tyra but I enjoyed meeting Hop, too. And Elvira! Woowheee! I'm thinking we'll enjoy seeing more of her and Malik. 

What did you think of Chaos' reaction to Tabby and Shy? It kinda broke my heart, honestly. I mean, I knew they wouldn't necessarily be happy about it but I didn't expect the way things went down. I adored how Shy handled it...what he said. I was thinking "God, I love my man" right along with Tabby. And Tabby's *talks* with both Tyra and her dad? Priceless. I could only hope to get out all that needed to be said as eloquently as she did. 

Natalie? I have to say I had no real love her that girl. Especially after she came in and said all those things she said to Tabby and Shy...about Shy. If she reappears, it's going to take a lot for me to forgive her.

Did you enjoy getting to see Lee? I'd completely forgotten about Tabby's meeting with him. And then, there he is in all his badassness. I could totally see him standing there. He's such a good guy, isn't he? I mean, he may do things in his job that stretch moral boundaries, but he's a good guy. I was tickled pink getting to see him. And that he did what he did? 

What did you think of how things went down with Shy, his aunt and uncle, and the scumbag? I wanted to hug each and every one of his brothers. They totally had his back and I was proud of them. And I was proud of Shy as well. 

The ending - and epilogue...KA made me cry!! CRY, Robyn! "I dreamed a dream..." That's good stuff right there. Left me feeling warm and fuzzy.

The only thing noticeably missing from OtW was a girl brawl. But I'm thinking we may not get one of those in this series because these babes, they're not quite as wild. I think that's kinda funny in a way. But I also think it's a reflection of the lives they live.

I freaking love this book! I can't wait until we can read the next one. 

I finished too! I was more obsessed with this one and I think it's because we haven't had a KA fix in a long time. Too long, Brandee. Not pointing fingers at anyone. I needed to follow the relationship along. I loved when they were friends. Truly. It was so good and real and they both needed that. And then when it became more and the real world jumped in with their two cents, boy. I was just as pissed at Tabby and Shy! What the hell? I loved her not holding back and LOVED Shy's speech. Hot damn! 

And Lee! I did not forget about that meeting. I thought KA forgot about it. She told us there was going to be a meeting and then said nothing more. I was waiting and waiting and she still caught me off guard. The brothers needed to go big to redeem themselves and they did. 

So you cried at the ending did you? That line "dream" line got me every single time! That was such good stuff. I told you already I loved the red dress scene. And "dream" links back to that and to the first time Shy really want something. 

What did you think of the supporting cast? I was a little frustrated with this history with Tyra and Lanie that we know nothing about but was referenced several times. Was that a novella or do you think we'll get it during Lanie's story? I think we need a Tex type figure. We need some comic relief because it looks like things are going to get serious. Still I loved it. LOVED IT! The tone and vibe were different, even the style, but not the voice. And not the dialogue. You're so right about that. 

When dear Brandee are we hitting Chaos 2? Crazy how one Superbowl bet turned into a life of its own and characters that are so part of us now! You chose to give me Rock Chick and see what happened?

Good stuff! 

Not pointing fingers, huh? *hangs head* I won't let it happen again. ;) I so agree with the pause button - that would help a lot! I feel kinda bad for my kiddos when I start a KA book (and certain others as well ;) Yesterday morning, I got up and had breakfast and coffee...the next thing I know it's 9:00 a.m. and I haven't fed my kids yet! (they're spoiled - I still make them breakfast) 

So I was thinking about what you said about the alphas in OtW - about them having a different vibe than the Hot Bunch. That's totally true. And I agree that the Chaos guys are definitely NOT broody. They "lay it out" when they've got something on their mind. And I think I almost prefer that. I like what you said about how "mature" Shy is. I think they all are - maybe more so than the Hot Bunch? I think it's fantastic that they talk. You know? Even when all the shit went down once Shy and Tabby were outed, they still ended up being mature.

I really like the dynamic between Shy and Tabby - how they both read each other so well and know when to "lay it out" and when to give the other the space they need before laying it out.

Omigosh, did I love when Shy saw Tabby and her guy. I did like that it made him decide he wanted that for himself. But I also admit to getting a little misty-eyed at the thought that it wouldn't be from her. Oh, here's a link to I Dreamed a Dream sung by Anne Hathaway...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86lczf7Bou8 And I loved getting his POV, too. It really adds to the story, doesn't it?

And I guess you're right about Rosalie being the fire that was needed but it still bothered me. Of course, like Shy said, he didn't know if Tabby'd ever get there. That scene..."You're not leaving." Holy hotness!! That was a great scene...and this book was filled with lots of them. *ha* 

Being in Fortnum's was extra sugar. I loved getting to hear Tex boom "V I P". I wonder if a character like him will be introduced in Chaos - we shall see. 

I hope we get a Lan book. I think we'll definitely get a Rush book. I know Hop's is next and I agree with you in needing some more backstory on Lanie. So I'm hoping we get that. I don't know who else we'll get books about...I was wondering about Delgado? But he's not Chaos, so... 

You're right about the needed comedic relief. I guess that's why I missed the girl bar brawls. :) Oh, and there's not a Daisy character. 

Still thinking on this today, I also wanted to mention how much I enjoyed the "talk" between Shy and Tack. When Tack was talking about the kind of man he wanted for Tabby...*sniff* Yep, I got misty-eyed again. I liked that conversation. A.LOT.

It is pretty fabulous where a simple Super Bowl bet has led us, isn't it? Who knew it'd turn us into such rabid KA fangirls? I have said it before and I'll say it again, it was the best bet I've EVER lost. 

There is no Daisy or Tex. Tyra is cool but way too collected to be in the same league as wild insightful mama bear Daisy. Delgado is sure interesting. I wonder if he headlines another series of her. He's rich material for sure. Even without the girl brawls we both loved Chaos because it's still all about the story and the characters and Shy and Tabby have a great story. I'm also thrilled we're spoiling ourselves. We should. We rock you know.


My final thoughts: Ah, stepping into a KA novel, even the first on in a series, is just...comfortable. Once again, she proved she will always deliver a riveting story with real and compelling characters. Own the Wind had a slightly different feel to it than KA's other series - it lacked zaniness - but it was enthralling nevertheless. I can't wait to read Fire Inside.


10 comments:

  1. It's great because you girls loved this one. I want to try Rock Chick first, this one might be a maybe for me because I don't really do MC novels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did lack the zaniness of RC and still we loved it! Can't wait for the next KA book, but you know that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent a good amount of time trying to figure out that one *little* thing it was missing...zaniness is what I came up with. :) And yep, we STILL loved it. More KA this week, baby! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ramona. Yes, it's so nice to find an author who you just *click* with. :) Robyn and I have really enjoyed the results of our bet. I'm glad you enjoyed the chat, too! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want you to read Rock Chick, Braine. It's a series to read when you really want an escape because even though there is a mystery/thriller element, it's mostly crazy fun! OtW is a MC novel and I can't speak to the rest of the series (yet) but it's not a hardcore MC book like MSheehan's. I'll keep you posted though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did read my first Rock Chick book recently and really enjoyed it. I think I need to continue with that series before I start this one, but you all did make this one sound really good. I am glad you enjoyed the read so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw a review of the third book in this series on delighted Reader their blog and just had to add it to my to-read list. I never thought biker books were something for me, but after reading Sophia and your review I just know I have to give this series a try as it sounds really good! I really enjoyed reading your chat about this book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for reading Rock Chick! I'd recommend reading all the Rock Chick books first but only because I liked the experience of reading them that way. :) Kristen Ashley is an incredible writer, in my opinion. She's one that her voice always come through - no matter the story. I think I'd compare her to Rachel Vincent in that aspect. I hope you continue to enjoy KA, Lorna!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only read one biker book before, Lola. It was Undeniable by Madeline Sheehan. That book was a deeper look at the gritty life of an MC club. This series may go that direction (I'll let you know :) but this particular installment was more about the characters. I'm glad you enjoyed our chat! :) And I hope you enjoy the series if you read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see you both loved this book! Pushing each other to read it! And to cry at the end, you know you were emotionally hooked! I want it!


    Naomi @ Naomi’s Reading Palace

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??