Wednesday, February 4, 2015

#2015 HW Review ~ Endure ~ Carrie Jones

Endure (Need, #4)Endure
Need Series #4
Release Date: May 8, 2012
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Romance
Source: Purchased Hardcover copy
Rating: 4.5 Bookworms

Synopsis
Zara is at the center of an impending apocalypse. True, she's successfully rescued Nick from Valhalla, but it simply isn't enough. Evil pixies are ravaging Bedford, and they need much more than one great warrior; they need an army. Zara isn't sure what her role is anymore. She's not just fighting for her friends; she's also a pixie queen. And to align her team of pixies with the humans she loves will be one of her greatest battles yet. Especially since she can't even reconcile her growing feelings for her pixie king...

Unexpected turns, surprising revelations, and one utterly satisfying romantic finale make Endure a thrilling end to this series of bestsellers.



I had waited quite awhile for this final installment to release but it was released in May of 2012 and I was moving at that time. I grabbed it on release day - but it's been sitting on my shelf, gathering dust, ever since. I'm so glad I finally read it because it was a very satisfying end.

All the events - all the pixie attacks, all the deaths - the small town of Bedford, Maine, has been experiencing have been leading up to this. Zara and her gang must figure out what the prophecy means and Zara's role in it. Zara has endured a lot in recent months - love, loss, transforming into a pixie - and she'll have to endure more before it's all over.

Zara is so courageous, selfless, and compassionate. She's always been a girl who'd rather fight for good with her words - but in the fight against evil pixies, she has to pick up a knife and/or sword.

Zara's friends, Devyn, Issie, Cassidy, and of course, Nick and Astley, have her back. Jones devised a great ensemble cast and I love them all. Nick continued in his behavior that was maddening to me for most of the book. He did eventually redeem himself in my eyes. Astley always puts Zara first, and that endeared him to me. (Yes, there is a love triangle in this series and I was firmly on Team Astley) 

Endure is really action-packed. Between trips to Iceland, training an army, and the actual 'big' battle, Jones created a lot of tension and adrenaline-pumping suspense. I'd forgotten that Norse mythology was such an important element in the series. I like how Jones wove together Loki, Hel, and Valhalla with the fae and shape-shifters.

Endure was an exciting and very satisfying end to a series that I greatly enjoyed. Jones constructed a unique story with well-developed characters. And her writing evoked vivid images as well as powerful emotions. I'm happy that I have more of her books already awaiting me on my shelves.






6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this book too. I loved the mythology--I think this is one of the first books I ever read that had a focus on Norse mythology, and it was WAY before the current Thor/Loki craze, so that was definitely cool. I still need to read the last book though, so thanks for the nudge ;) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of this series before. Sounds like it was a really good read. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when a series wraps up nicely, and it looks like this one did exactly that. Zara sounds like a character I'd like to read about, strong courageous, and bad ass with a sword! Great review!


    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really fell in love with Jones' writing in this series, Naomi. I think you'd enjoy this series when you're in the mood for some great YA. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay - I introduced you to a series! :) It is a really well-done YA paranormal, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the mythology as well, Jessica. It's been so long since I read the 3rd book, I'd forgotten there was so much in the story. I also like Jones' writing style. I hope you enjoy this final installment when you get around to it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??