Thursday, February 26, 2015

#2015HW, #ShelfLove Review ~ Breathe ~ Abbi Glines

Breathe (Sea Breeze, #1)Breathe
Sea Breeze Series #1
Release Date: May 16, 2011
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary Romance
Source: Purchased from B&N
Rating: 4 Bookworms
Goodreads

Synopsis
Sadie White's summer job isn't going to be on the beach life-guarding or working at rental booths like most kids her age. With her single mother's increasing pregnancy and refusal to work, Sadie has to take over her mother's job as a domestic servant for one of the wealthy summer families on a nearby island.

When the family arrives at their summer getaway, Sadie is surprised to learn that the owner of the house is Jax Stone, one of the hottest teen rockers in the world. If Sadie hadn't spent her life raising her mother and taking care of the house she might have been normal enough to be excited about working for a rock star.

Even though Sadie isn't impressed by Jax's fame, he is drawn to her. Everything about Sadie fascinates Jax but he fights his attraction. Relationships never work in his world and as badly as he wants Sadie, he believes she deserves more. By the end of the summer, Jax discovers he can't breathe without Sadie.



Y'all, I've had Breathe on my nook since June 2012. I picked it up after reading The Vincent Boys and loving it. And I'm pretty sure it was only 99 cents but I'm too lazy to try to figure it out. ;) I know it's been through several rounds of editing since then but I'm reviewing this version and the only knock against it, for me, is Glines' lack of contractions. I've not been to Alabama (yet) but I did grow up in Texas and I feel safe in saying teens do not speak so formally. No, they don't. Other than that...nada. :)

I am really late to the Sea Breeze party. I wish I'd read it a long time ago - but better late than never, yeah? (Thanks Marilyn and Naomi for constantly tempting me to start it) Since y'all have probably read more than a few reviews of Breathe, I'm going to list the things I liked.

  • Glines did an excellent job of realistically conveying the personality and character of Sadie - a young girl who's had to grow up way before her time. She's smart, capable, and responsible.
  • Glines also did well in painting the picture of Jax - who lost normal at an early age but was still a little boy, craving acceptance - normal beneath all the pomp and circumstance of being a rock star/teen idol.
  • The cast of supporting characters is very well fleshed out - Jessica, Sadie's mom, is well defined as someone I simultaneously pitied and despised; Marcu is so believable as a guy smitten with Sadie but willing to be a good friend; Ms. Mary and Mr. Greg are so well-developed I feel I know then as well as I know Sadie and Jax - Mary, in particular.
  • Glines accurately and realistically portrayed the emotion and angst of first love coupled with the lovers being from distinctly different worlds
  • Glines had me sympathizing with both Sadie's and Jax's woes, and wrought quite a bit of emotion from me. I was a weepy mess at several different times during the story.
I really enjoyed my introduction to the Sea Breeze series. I'm not sure if the series is complete or not, but I'm thrilled to have so many at-hand. I can't wait to see what comes next for Sadie and Jax.




18 comments:

  1. I guess I'm late to the party as well, Brandee, because I haven't read this either :) It does sound like a good story, though, and you know I'm always attracted to well developed characters :)
    I hope the sick kid is doing better, and that your mom will arrive safely for the concert this weekend! Have a terrific Thursday, my friend. Only 75 days until RT ;)
    *BIG HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm in good company, Lexxie. :) It is a really good story and I'm excited to get further into the series. It was a bit weird reading a book with a character named 'Jax' though. :)
    We have a snow day today so at least Sky isn't missing another day of school. I also hope my mom gets here. I'm not sure of weather delays at our airport. But James is picking her up so I don't have to drive out there. :) I hope your day is lovely and that you arrive safely to your destination. ;) 75 more days...can't believe it! **BIG HUGS**

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess you're not as late to this one as me, because I've never heard of it (at least as far as I can remember)! I lmao about the contractions - kids not only use contractions.... We're lucky if they use real words anymore. I may write OMG but when speaking I say "Oh My God" - not the kids. They say OMG and LOL and stuff. Drives me bonkers. Wow, I sound old, huh?

    Anyway, sounds really good and ill have to add it to my list. Too bad the moms a typical bad element, but at least she's well written, right? Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently, we're all late for the party . . . How does that make you feel, Brandee? I'm surely happy you shared your thoughts with us because now I have another title added to my list! :) Plus, Abbi Glines is one of the authors I've always wanted to try but still have to, so you may have just given me something to start from ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm late to the party too because I haven't started this one yet either, but this will definitely be the next Glines series I read! She is so hard to keep up with lol. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not particular about the nitty-gritty but there are some things that just leap off the book. Dialogue included and certain nuances. I look for it in historical novels and I'm sure I would've noticed the too formal language in this one too. We have teens, lord knows they need to expand their vocabulary and talk more proper.


    Still it's great that you still loved this. The additional edits helped, I can see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadie's character and personality sounds like I could easily get into her story

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never heard of this one before. I am glad you were able to enjoy it even though the dialogue wasn't great. I will say Sadie's mom sounds like a piece of work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dialog wasn't bad - it's just that teens don't speak that formally. (in my opinion :) And Sadie's mom was definitely a piece of work. It didn't take away from the story though. I'm really excited to continue with this series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a great story, Brandi, and one I think you'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. *ha* Yeah, I've picked a an HR recently about dialog, huh? It just needs to feel authentic, right? And us having teens, we know how they speak. I do agree that they need to improve their vocabularies. *haha* I feel pretty certain that once Glines was picked up by Atria, this issue was resolved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wait. I've read something you haven't?!? Whoa!! ;) I'm sure she is hard to keep up with but I'm kinda happy there are so many already in the series. I won't have to wait. *ha* I hope you give her a try and love the story, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL Y'all are making me feel so much better! ;) I hope you give her a shot, Silvia. As I said, I've read her The Vincent Boys as well and enjoyed it, too. So many bloggers adore her and I'd just taken my time getting back to her. Obviously. But I really am happy to know I'm not the only one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL Glines writes standard NA - but there's just something about her characters that resonates with me. And I've only read 2! Yeah, Sadie's mom is something else but she is well written and it added to the story. As a mom, I get irritated sometimes at how moms/parents are depicted. But in this case, it added another layer.


    Yes, teens and their text speak. Thank goodness my kids don't do that. In fact, my girls (they're the only ones with phones) actually write out everything in complete sentences. :) Just like their mom. *ha* I don't think it makes us sound 'old'...cultured, maybe?!? *haha*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! You finally started this series. So glad you enjoyed the first installment. But then, I thought you would.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review girl! I get what you mean about the teen speak... but it still was a good read. I liked Jax! And it was amusing to see him fall for the girl who works for him!


    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal
    Palace

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes! And I'm so glad I did...finally. Thanks for tempting me, Marilyn. I'm looking forward to reading more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, it definitely was a great read, Naomi. I can't believe I waited so long. No wait. I can! *ha* It was kinda weird to read about a character named Jax though - since that's my son's name. :)

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??