Saturday, August 24, 2013

**Sidekick Showcase ~ #8**


Sidekick Showcase (previously known as Sidekick Saturday) is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fits in this week's type
• Share a picture (if possible) and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• Put your link in the Linky thing and comment


**********************************


This week, Jaclyn has selected Law Enforcement as the theme. And my pick is:

Ryan Kristoff
from the Kara Gillian series by Diana Rowland


When I first broke away from reading strictly literary fiction - you know, post-Twilight ;) - a coworker of mine turned me on to this series. It's an urban fantasy/police procedural mix. I'm not current in the series but it's an awesome one about a police detective, Kara Gillian, who can summon demons, an ability she uses to help solve crimes. One night, she inadvertently summons a demon lord. :) Ryan Kristoff is an FBI agent called in to help Kara solve a serial murderer case. Ryan is an extremely handsome and charming man who disapproves of Kara's methods of detecting. 

The reason I chose Ryan is because this series, with the crime scene and solving aspect, can get intense, gritty and graphic. Ryan injects humor into the story quite often. And he's a good guy, too.

******************************

"You're pretty smart for a Fed."
"I missed a bunch of questions on the entrance exam on purpose so that I could get into the agency,"  --Kara & Ryan, Mark of the Demon

"Ryan stared at me as I pulled my phone out to see who was calling at this late hour. "You have the Fraggle Rock theme song as your ring tone," he said, with a bemused look on his face. "You are so weird." --Kara & Ryan, Mark of the Demon

"You're all angles and elbows right now." I gave him a sour look. "You certainly know how to make a girl feel sexy."
He grinned. "Well, how about: If anyone can make an oversize polyester uniform look hot, it's you." --Kara & Ryan, Blood of the Demon



10 comments:

  1. Nice pick! I've never heard of this series/character, but based on the quotes Ryan sounds great.
    Thanks for sharing, Brandee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like trying to pick series that I don't hear much about, Andrea! ;) This is a really good cross of police procedural and urban fantasy. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a fun series, Brandee! I love a man with a good sense of humor :) Yet another one I haven't read before. Thanks for sharing!

    Have a great weekend, my friend. *hugs*

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great series, Lexxie, that I think you'd really enjoy. Hope your weekend was fab! :)

      Delete
  3. I absolutely adore this series. There's a lot more to Ryan than meets the eye :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, Vilia, on both counts! Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful! I have this one on my to-read list already, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I'm really interested in it though, and Ryan seems like my kind of witty character. Love the quotes! Thank you so much for sharing him with us :D I hope you are having a fantastic weekend! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jaclyn! I know you'll really enjoy it. I think it has all the elements you love! ;)

      Delete
  5. I think I started this series, but then Richelle Mead lured me with one of her books. I'm sure it's her fault. The quotes make me think I jumped ship too soon! I like this Ryan fellow. Great pick and as usual my TBR list has grown. Have a great week, Brandee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn that Richelle! LOL I think this series is fantastic but I don't hear all that much about it. So happy to help nurture that TBR, Robyn! ;) Hope your week is going well.

      Delete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??