Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Brandee's Bookish Babble #12 ~ Even if I Squint...


Welcome to Brandee's Bookish Babble. There are many, many similar posts to this one - but basically I wanted a place to discuss bookish and/or blogging stuff and I needed a title. :) I hope you enjoy!

***

Is it just me or has the print in a mass market sized paperback gotten smaller?!? Oh. It is me. Sort of.

When I began my series catchup in the Kate Daniels series, I had a little trouble. It was rough staying with it, to be honest. Not because the story was bad. NO! The Andrews's delivered all the increased pulse-inducing action and drama I love about Kate & Curran. No, my problem was that I was reading a mass market paperback. It's been awhile. And apparently I now have issues - optical issues - with this format. "But Brandee, don't you wear reading glasses?" Why yes, yes I do. But here's what I determined. 

See, I was thinking it was just me. Then I remembered that I'd recently read another book in mass market size and I didn't have the same issues. So I did some reconnaissance work and what I found was that the Andrews' book was printed on paper that was a bit darker and with the font size, I really strained to read it. The other book I read was printed on a brighter paper and the contrast between the font and the paper was easier on my eyes. I found it easier to read Kate & Curran with a headlamp on since it gave me that sharper vision - provided me with a crisper font - but I can't wear that in public. ;) Well, I could but I'd be give *those* looks. o_O   And while this is all good information to know, it made me sad. Y'all should see the collection of mass market paperbacks on my TBR shelves. Guess I'll be breaking out a headlamp (when bright light isn't available) - those side-eyed looks be damned!

So I was curious...Do y'all have any issues and/or preferences when it comes to mass market paperbacks? Are my eyes just old???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??