Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Berk Reviews ~ The Total Tragedy of a Girl Named Hamlet ~ Erin Dionne

About a year ago, I reviewed The Total Tragedy of a Girl Named Hamlet. If you missed my review, you can read it here. I mentioned in my review that my younger daughter had tried reading this but had put it down as it 'hit too close to home' for her. But she attempted it again and enjoyed it, so I asked if I could share her review with y'all. :)


***


The Total Tragedy of a Girl Named Hamlet
The Total Tragedy of a Girl Named Hamlet by Erin Dionne
Release Date: January 7, 2010
Genre: Middle Grade
Rating: 4.5 Bookworms

Synopsis
Hamlet Kennedy just wants to be your average, happy, vanilla eighth grader. But with Shakespearean scholar parents who dress in Elizabethan regalia and generally go about in public as if it were the sixteenth century, that's not terribly easy. It gets worse when they decide that Hamlet's genius seven year-old sister will attend middle school with her - and even worse when the Shakespeare project is announced and her sister is named the new math tutor. By the time an in-class recitation reveals that our heroine is an extraordinary Shakespearean actress, Hamlet can no longer hide from the fact that she - like her family - is anything but average. In a novel every bit as funny as her debut, Erin Dionne has created another eighth grader whose situation is utterly unique - but whose foibles and farces will resound with every girl currently suffering through middle school.


**Berk's Review**


Between the school's Shakespeare project, secret crushes and the not-so-dynamic duo-- Hamlet Kennedy’s life was a mess. It didn’t help that her parents are constantly trying to ruin her life, dressing in full Elizabethan regalia, speaking without the use of contractions, or coming to help out at her school. And then her seven year old sister enters 8th grade to learn music and arts before going to college. Will Hamlets life get any better?


This was an overall amazing book. Erin Dionne has a very clever way of creating a great conflict for the character to go through. I had already tried to read this book once before but I thought it was a bit too similar to the situations what I was going through at the time. As I tried the book again, I soon found myself pulled into the story. The world that Dionne has created for the reader makes you really feel like Hamlet was a girl going to your school and dealing with these problems. I’m not going to spoil but I loved how it ended. Wrapped up with revenge and a bow. Dionne has written another wonderful book to add to the collection.

‘“Lots of people get in trouble,” I said. “ It’s no big deal. They won’t stay mad at you forever.”’


8 comments:

  1. Lovely review, Berk :) I plan on reading a couple of books with my daughter too !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awee it is so sweet that you and your daughter can share books together. And lovely review! Even though it's not my style it was nice to see what you thought. And the fact that your daughter finally braved it up and decided to read it after all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you got to enjoy the book in the end, Berk! Believe it or not, you got me intrigued . . . Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we've all known and been a version of Hamlet at some point. HS especially is such a challenging time for most everyone. So many changes happening at the same time it's hard to keep up. It's great that you gave this another go and managed to relate to it better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can definitely understand a book hitting a bit too close to home and how sometimes an be uncomfortable. I am glad to hear you enjoyed this book the second time you picked it up. It sounds well written and fun.

    @Brandee, that's so fun your daughter shares your love for reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a book with super interesting characters-a girl named Hamlet :) I am glad you attempted it again and liked it so much. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hm. I wonder if my son would like this... It's worth a try. Great review, Berk, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great to see that you gave this book another go despite being close to what you were going through the first time round. Great review!

    Naomi @ Naomi’s Reading Palace

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??