Wednesday, September 4, 2013

**Review ~ Persephone's Orchard ~ Molly Ringle**


Persephone's Orchard
Persephone's Orchard 
by Molly Ringle
#1 Chrysomelia Stories
Release Date: June 28, 2013
Source: Purchased

Synopsis from Goodreads
The Greek gods never actually existed. Did they? Sophie Darrow finds she was wrong about that assumption when she's pulled into the spirit realm, complete with an Underworld, on her first day at college. Adrian, the mysterious young man who brought her there, simply wants her to taste a pomegranate. 

Soon, though she returns to her regular life, her mind begins exploding with dreams and memories of ancient times; of a love between two Greeks named Persephone and Hades. But lethal danger has always surrounded the immortals, and now that she's tainted with the Underworld's magic, that danger is drawing closer to Sophie.










First of all, I somehow missed that this is the first in a series. Therefore, it ends in a bit of a cliffhanger...not much of one though...I wasn't screaming at my kindle or anything. :) The story just isn't complete yet. Second of all, this book is kinda hard to review without spoilers. So know that in some ways I'm being intentionally vague. :)

Persephone's Orchard, as you might have guessed, is a novel wrapped around the myth of Persephone and Hades. This is not a mere re-telling of the story though. No, Ms. Ringle sets out to re-imagine the myth. And I'm going to admit upfront that I'm quite fond of this re-imagining. What if Persephone and Hades were actually in love. 

I couldn't help but love Adrian Watts. He's lived a challenging life and has spent the last two years doing what he can to help others. But he's lonely and he's ready for his love to join him. Sophie took me some time to warm up to. She tends to make rash decisions on some things and she's stubborn when it comes to others. But, she did go to college thinking she's your average college freshman, only to learn she's anything but when she's drawn over to the spirit world and meets Adrian. While Persephone and Hades' story unfolds for Sophie, and she and Adrian begin their own, an evil force makes itself known attempting to keep these lovers apart.

Ms. Ringle did a phenomenal job of writing a story that is very engaging. I was enthralled, wanting to know everything about Persephone and Hades. The writing flowed beautifully between Sophie's POV, Adrian's POV and the dream/memory sequences experienced by them both. I loved the use of reincarnation as a tool to continue bringing these two souls together in life after life. While I did get frustrated with Sophie at times, I felt Ms. Ringle deftly portrayed those qualities we see so strongly in Persephone and Hades still evident in Sophie and Adrian. I am particularly affected by Sophie and Adrian's desire to use the centuries' worth of knowledge they have to have a different outcome for the themselves this time around.

Obviously, I'm captivated by this story. It's a unique take on an old myth and is beautifully told. I adored Ms. Ringle's imaginative use for pomegranate seeds and the obstacle an over-protective mother would pose to a couple in love. I also enjoyed the creative description of the spirit world and the Underworld. I will now have trouble envisioning the afterlife in any other way. And the supporting cast of gods and goddesses was spectacular. Ms. Ringle did a fine job of creating these characters in both the ancient times and the present. I'm holding out hope for Sophie and Adrian and am anxious for the next book!








Molly RingleMolly Ringle has been writing fiction for over twenty years. With her intense devotion to silly humor, she was especially proud to win the grand prize in the 2010 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest with one (intentionally) terrible sentence. Molly grew up in the Pacific Northwest, and lives in Seattle with her husband and children. Her studies include a bachelor of arts in anthropology and a master of arts in linguistics. She was a Tri-Delta in college, in an old sorority house that was supposedly haunted, which inspired some of the central ideas for 'The Ghost Downstairs.' She also loves folklore and mythology, and is working on new novels about the Greek myths. 'Persephone's Orchard' is the first in the series. When not writing, she can often be found experimenting with fragrances, chocolate, and gardening.






12 comments:

  1. I love the Persephone and Hades myth so I'm always looking for retellings. This sounds like an awesome one! Great review!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is really well done, Teresa! I bet you'd like it!

      Delete
  2. This book was so good! I am thrilled that you enjoyed it so much. I really enjoyed the Underworld as well, the imagery, and the way the story developed. Ringle is a fantastic author and I'm really looking forward to the next book in this series :D Great review! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I was going to like it when I read your review, Jaclyn. I'm only sorry it took me so long to get to it. :) I also really look forward to the next installment! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I tend to enjoy Greek myth re-tellings, and I love that the author changed things up.
    So glad you enjoyed Persephone's Orchard, Brandee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea! I'm particularly fond of this myth so I really enjoyed this spin on it. I bet you'd like it too! :)

      Delete
  4. I have this book on my new handy dandy Kindle! I haven't read much in the area of Greek Mythology. I think Richelle Mead's Dark Swan touched on some mythology here and there, right? That's about it for me. First Jaclyn raved about this book, then you. I have to up it on the list!! Great review, Brandee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're getting to enjoy that handy dandy Kindle, Robyn! ;) You can always check out books from my 'library'! :) I have MANY books! LOL Yep, Richelle Mead does touch on mythology in her Dark Swan series. I think she puts in everything. ;) I think you'd like this book though. As Jaclyn more eloquently said, it has great imagery. <-- good word!

      Delete
  5. I love the spin she did with this one, it's more grounded and humane. I didn't like the lead characters that much though and it's more YA than NA, I was looking for the emotional charge that identify with NA but I feel like that part was a little glazed over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Braine! Yeah, I'd agree that it was definitely more YA feeling than NA. I'm sorry you didn't connect with this one...but maybe the next one will redeem this story for you?!! :) Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you enjoyed it Brandee! I thought it was such a unique take on the mythology and I can't wait to read book 2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore Greek mythology and the Persephone/Hades myth has always been one of my favourites, so I look forward to reading this one! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??