Saturday, September 21, 2013

**Sidekick Showcase ~ #12**


Sidekick Showcase (previously known as Sidekick Saturday) is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fits in this week's type
• Share a picture (if possible) and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• Put your link in the Linky thing and comment


**********************************


This week, Jaclyn has really stumped me. The theme is 
Love Interest's Best Friend.  
Why is this so hard?!? I keep coming up with best friends of the MC! But in the end, I decided on:

Spade

from Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series
a.k.a. Cat & Bones series


Spade, whose actual name is Baron Charles DeMortimer, met Bones on the voyage to the New South Wales penal colonies. The overseer gave the prisoners names based on their jobs...Spade was a digger. Spade and Bones became best friends following their change.

Spade is about 6'4'' of hunky vampire! But what I like about him most, besides the humor he injects into scenes, is his loyalty to Bones. Spade comes from a time when loyalty and chivalry ruled. He and Bones have been through so much together. And Spade does all he can to protect Bones from enduring some of the pain he has endured. 

I love Spade almost as much as Bones...and Vlad! :) *sigh* 


******

“If you’d refrain from slamming my face any more into this dirty rock floor, I’ll do whatever you like,” was his even reply. “Fancy letting my head go?”
“Sure,” I said with an unpleasant snicker, not relinquishing an ounce of pressure. “How about I let you floss with my jugular as
well? I don’t think so.”  -Spade & Cat, Halfway to the Grave


Charles, Bones said distinctly. You'd better have a splendid explanation for her being on top of you.

The black-haired vampire rose to his feet as soon as I jumped off, brushing the dirt off his clothes. Believe me, mate, I've never enjoyed a woman astride me less. I came out to say hello, and this she-devil blinded me by flinging rocks in my eyes. Then she vigorously attempted to split my skull before threatening to impale me with silver if I so much as even twitched. It's been a few years since I've been to America, but I daresay the method of greet a person has changed dramatically.
 -Spade & Bones, Halfway to the Grave


Okay y'all, I couldn't find enough quotes and I was just getting sucked into the books...so sorry! Just know that if you haven't read this series yet, you'll LOVE it. And you'll love Spade. :)

8 comments:

  1. Believe me, mate, I've never liked a woman astride me less!! I love it :D Yep, Spade is such an excellent choice. Most loyal BFF to the love interest I've seen in a series and his humor is great. Obviously I really appreciate your choice hehehe :D Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven. I hope you have a fantastic weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yeah, GMTA Jaclyn! Spade is dreamy. I really wish I could take the time to re=read the series. :)

      My weekend has been pretty great. I hope yours has been too!

      BTW, I love your new pic! ;)

      Delete
  2. Great pick, Brandee! I like Spade a lot. And Ian, too! Once he and Bones quit fighting. This was a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yeah, Ian grew on me too, Andrea. *sigh* I sooo love this series. ;)

      Delete
  3. I've read book 1 of the spin-off and I think I'm familiar with the dude. This is one series that I should read too so I can be an official UF/PNR reader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed all over again with your quotes. I love Spade, and you mentioned Vlad. Hmm. I'm still too early in the series to know much about him. He's had a couple shining moments and like Spade, he's a total hottie. I can't wait for more. I have book 4 waiting. But this was not a sit back and enjoy your weekend. Tomorrow, I'm baking and reading. That's it! I love that you got caught up in finding quotes and now you wish you could stop everything and read the books again. I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??