Saturday, December 6, 2014

**Show Your Shelves Some Love ~ A No Book Buying Challenge ~ Sign-Up Post**


Show Your Shelves Some Love ~ A No Book Buying Challenge is being hosted by the ladies at Chapter Break and Second Run Reviews. For complete details and rules, and to sign up, click the banner. 

The goal of this challenge is simple - refrain from buying any books (*gasp* OR set a budget) and work on removing the hoards (is that just me??) of books from your physical and digital shelves. This is a year-long challenge, January 1 - December 31, 2015. 


***

Okay, I don't think it's any secret that I have an addiction...a book buying addiction. ;) I mean, y'all see my BB&B posts, right? Just look at my physical TBR shelves...and the bottom row got cut off!



So when Julie and Rose @Chapter Break mentioned doing a "read what you own" challenge, I was all over it! I was momentarily taken aback at the thought of not being able to buy *ANY* books but then quickly found the part in the rules that says I can as long as I set a budget. Phew! I can do that. (I think ;) 

You don't have to decide which books you're gonna read ahead of time, but you do have to pick a level. So here is the level I'm aiming at and how I plan to get there:


  • I'm shooting for a Purple Belt ~ 31-40 books, meaning I have regular date nights with my shelves. ;) And honestly, I could probably do this challenge for 2 or 3 years and still not have read everything I own. *sigh*


As for a budget, I was trying to figure out a $ amount I felt I could limit myself to but I also liked Chapter Break's idea of earning books. I'm going to do a hybrid. Here's how it'll work...

No Buying:

  • I'm going to allow myself $10 a month for books. If I don't use that amount, it rolls over to the next month. If there is a new release I've been waiting on, I'll make sure I've saved enough $ from previous months to afford it.
  • Gift cards don't count - I hope I get at least ONE for Christmas *hint* so I can purchase KMM's Burned on January 20th!
  • Freebies don't count - so I can one-click those to my heart's content.
  • Audible credits don't count - so I can get my one audio book a month
  • Any signings or book conventions I attend don't count - I can buy or collect free books while there (I'm attending two conventions/conferences as of right now)
Earning:

  • For every 3 books from my shelves I read, I earn a book under $3.
  • For every week with 5 days of exercise, I earn a book under $3.
  • For every 5000 words on my book, I earn a book under $3.

I think these are boundaries I can live within. I'll keep y'all posted monthly, though.



So, what about y'all? How many books do you have piling up on your shelves? Come on and Show Your Shelves Some Love!!

14 comments:

  1. I'm already certain I'm signing up for this, but I need to do the post and work out my details. I think I'm stealing this earning $ for books thing - and some of your goals! You should totally join Book Blog Walkers to help you stay motivated toward that goal. Oh and the writing sidekick for your writing goal (how did I not know you were writing?)! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great rules there hon! Especially the writing part, what are you working on at the moment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I need to join book blog walkers too. Is that continuing next year as well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow!! You have put a lot of thought into this challenge!! I am just too relaxed I think... REad what I want, when I want! But I wish you well!!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am doing the purple belt challenge also. I could do this for a couple of years as well before reading everything I have. LOL. I need to come up with a reward system like you guys did. I love the idea of getting rewarded for the things I need to do also, so this will motivate me to not spend money on books, and do things like clean and work out more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one who hoards books, Kaitlin. :) My oldest daughter is really driving me to do this challenge. She actually told me I should reward myself for reading FIVE books rather than 3. :) I actually am looking forward to reading books I own. *gasp*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did put some thought into it - although Sky (my oldest) is driving this challenge. She really wants me to read the books I have. *haha* And I think with the challenge, I will be relaxed with it - I have many, many, many choices. So I'll get to pick what suits my mood at that moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Julie. I need the extra motivation, I think. :) I'm working on an adult contemporary mainly but also a YA historical...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're welcome to my rules and goals, Berls. ;) I think I will join in the Book Blog Walkers as well. Do you do the writing sidekick? I'm not sure I know what that is..I don't know how you didn't know. I don't tell many but I thought I'd told you. Of course, now it's out there... *haha*

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL yeah I may have missed a veiled reference too, I suppose :) I've joined the Writing Sidekick, though I'm not one of the better members. It's run by Amanda from On A Book Bender, but it's a separate website. And we all talk on Google plus. Here's the link: http://www.thewritingsidekick.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Felicia hasn't officially said so, but I can't imagine she'll stop it since it's so popular and everyone who does it is constantly talking about how helpful it is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! It's good to be here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your book buying earning potential... I did not know you were writing a book. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??