Friday, December 2, 2016

#TravelingtotheTerminus Review ~ The Undead Pool ~ Kim Harrison


The Undead Pool (The Hollows, #12)The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison
The Hollows #12
Release Date: February 25, 2014
Genre: Adult, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance
Source: Purchased Hardcover
Rating: 5 Bookworms
Challenges: #ShelfLove, #TravelingtoTerminus
Goodreads

Synopsis
Witch and day-walking demon Rachel Morgan has managed to save the demonic ever after from shrinking, but at a high cost. Now strange magic is attacking Cincinnati and the Hollows, causing spells to backfire or go horribly wrong, and the truce between the races, between Inderlander and human, is shattering.

Rachel must stop the occurrences before the undead vampire masters who keep the rest of the undead under control are lost and it becomes all-out supernatural war. However, the only way to do so is through the ancient elven wild magic, which carries its own perils.



The Hollows is one of my favorite urban fantasy series so I can't believe I've consistently stayed behind in it. I love the characters and their development - evolution - over the course of the series. I enjoy the action and mystery in each installment. And I admire Harrison's take on social issues such as discrimination. The Undead Pool was quite a ride and I'm happy, and maybe a little sad, that there's only one book left in the series!

In The Undead Pool, Rachel, Trent, and the gang have to figure out why the master vampires are sleeping and therefore are letting the living vampires run amok. They also have to determine the what kind of magic is being used and who all is involved. On top of that, Trent and Rachel are trying to determine what, if anything, is between them. And the elves are putting a lot of pressure on Trent to do what they want. Should Rachel and Trent follow their hearts or do what's expected of them?

It was all very exciting. Every moment! The way Rachel can bring everyone together - even if she worries about their safety - is special. There were moments where I ooh'd, teared up, gasped. It was fantastic.

I want to mention that I had listened to the last two installments and although I adore Marguerite Gavin's narration, I feel like I had some holes - can't remember all the details. So I was thrilled to go back to reading this one. I'm a slow reader when it comes to Harrison but I savor every page. 

I'm arguing with myself over continuing on to the last book. I think I've decided to read something else but I *will* be read the final installment by year's end.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??