Friday, May 16, 2014

**Blogger 'Duel' Review ~ Rock Chick Redemption ~ Kristen Ashley**

Best bet I ever made and lost?!? The Super Bowl bet between my pal Robyn Jones (@RobGirlBooks) and I. She lives with Seahawk fans and I live in Colorado and therefore root for the Broncos...well, at least my hubby does. ;) Since the Seahawks won, I had to gift Robyn a book set in Denver. Rock Chick was the gift. And we enjoyed reading and reviewing Rock Chick together so much, we decided we're gonna read 1 book from the series per month...unless we can swing more! This series ROCKS!!!!

Okay, on with the review...


***

Rock Chick Redemption (Rock Chick, #3)Rock Chick Redemption by Kristen Ashley
Rock Chick #3
Release Date: November 8, 2010
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Source: Purchased ebook

Rating: 5 Bookworms

Synopsis
Roxie's on the run from a bad boyfriend who will not catch the hint that it is o-v-e-r. She's in no mood for love at first sight, but when her eyes fall on Hank, it's trouble from the get-go. Roxie tries to hold Hank at arms length but Hank wants to be a closer (as in, a lot closer). Roxie's trouble catches up with her and Hank wants to help but Roxie knows in her heart that she's no good for a white hat guy. The problem is no one agrees with her, especially her crazy hippie best friend Annette or her parents; the even crazier small-Indiana-town Herb and Trish. Toss into the mix the gant from Rock Chick and Rock Chick Rescue and Roxie finds herself totally outnumbered.

Climb in for another Rock Chick wild ride through Rock Chick Redemption. As the odds stack up against Roxie, she has no choice buy to hold on and just ride it out through the kidnappings, car chases, society parties, a riot at the strip club, Hank getting "Mom Bombed" and one crazy night at the Haunted House.

During all this Hank works at convincing her she really wants to stay and he, along with the Hot Bunch, go all out to make her safe. Hank also needs to work on showing Roxie that her past decisions don't mean her future can't include something as downright delicious as...normal.


**********

First off, are we setting daily reading limits? It's way past my bedtime and I've been mostly good with going to sleep early-ish. But all I want to do is stay up and read the whole damn book! I love it.

The vibe is different, maybe because I do actually get Roxie more than Jet or Indie, except for the high maintenance girly stuff. I just love her, and Hank is my kind of Alpha. Oh man, my favorite so far. I love Tex! I'm curious about Eddie's instant reaction to Roxie. Was it just because of her appearance, or did she give off some girlfriend of a criminal vibe? And Vance, if this story didn't rock so much I'd be demanding his story right now! But I can wait.

I bet you love that Daisy made an appearance early on. How about that speed walking (or running?) to the burger joint? Ha! That's my kind of hangover remedy. Have you been to any of the places they mentioned? I've been on the light rail...hehe. Yes I have.

Look at how late it is, but I'm stopping. I have to. I didn't even do any work. None! Kristen Ashley, look at what you have done! (that's a Will quote)

Oh sh#t! If we're doing daily limits, I'm screwed. I can't put this book down! I've been diligently trying to take notes so I'd know what I wanted to talk about though. :) Does that count?!? How far are you? I'm at 56% and I was about to go outside to read more. ;)

Yes, the vibe is totally different. And I KNEW there was some of you in Roxie. I love her too, I gotta say. Of course, i don't get the girly stuff either, but I still love her. I think she's more sure of herself and wants to do right by everyone. And Hank...yeah, he's my favorite so far too. (go ahead, call me a slut! ;) I think I like Hank's brand of Alpha because he's such a gentleman...he says 'please' when he's commanding something. *ha*

I'm enjoying all the Springsteen references too. I like that this book has more music in it - I liked that about #1 as well. What did you think about "She's the One"?

Daisy - I adore this chick!! That she's ingratiated herself into 'the clan' is just fantastic! Yes, I loved the power-walk to the burger joint. That was hysterical even if it did defeat the purpose of a power-walk. And the outfit she wore for the Haunted House/maze??? Omigosh!

Tex being such a prominent figure in this books adds so much! He's such a hoot! And a total softie inside that Paul Bunyan body of his. ;)

OH, I had written a note about Eddie's initial reaction to Roxie too. I don't know what was up with that. Maybe it'll be explained...but maybe it was just a 'shit, she's trouble' vibe he felt.

I'd also made note of Vance's interactions with Roxie and what you thought of them...personally, I think he was kinda screwing with Hank but yeah, I hope he gets a book! AND we finally meet Luke! Andrea (The Bookish Babe) says he's her fav. 

What did you think of the conversation between Malcolm and Roxie at the police station?? I think I love Hank's dad!! 

AND I love Shamus!! I love that Hank has a dog and the he obviously adores Roxie just as much as Hank does. I think this may be another reason Hank is my fav - there's just something about a man who owns an animal and takes such good care of it.

I want your opinion of that lightning strike when Hank and Roxie first see each other, Ms. Love-at-First-Sight. It kinda rocked! ;)

The visit to the Haunted House/Corn Maze (yeah, I lived in Thornton for the first 13 years here) was hysterical...well, except for the whole Billy situation...that stun guns and body guards are standard issue on a night out with these girls is too funny!!

SO, I know I still don't know all the guys really well, but Hank is my fav so far. See, I made a choice. Although I reserve the right to change my mind. We sluts are allowed that right! *ha*

You know my opinion of the lightning strike between Hank and Roxie. I so believe in it. There is this sweeping rush through your whole body. that goes way beyond plain attraction because that's what fun crushes are for. Love at first sight is all about sudden courage, insanity, and freaking hormones! I love that Hank likes all of Roxie, her stubborn uppity side, her high maintenance side, her warm sweet side. He's just so in to her and she's crazy about him. Okay, I'm totally nutty for Hank. I love him like I love Adam from Mercy Thompson's world. He'd be a great werewolf. I can see these guys all furry and fangy, Can't you? 

I love Roxie's reaction to the secretary! I was waiting for it and I wasn't disappointed. I want to meet her just so I can mutter bitch under my breath like the rest of the Rock Chicks. 

You're so right about the music! I love the music references. I missed that in Jet's book. The sports talk is pretty cool too. And it really got me that they both see the other in a song.

What do you think about Roxie's mental battle with herself? Jet was all about thinking she was too dull to hold Eddie's interest, which was hard for me to understand. He liked her, so she wasn't boring for him. But Roxie's has this undeserving dirty girl bit going on and I just want to hug her. That's the downside to love at first sight. You make big calls for your life based on pure romanticism. Sometimes the guy is total shit like Billy.

Oh, oh, I love Hank's dad too! Jet's book was heavy on the moms, but this book is heavy on the guys from the hotties to Tex. What did you think of the Diablo playing? Did you remember that Anna and Cody from my books played Diablo II? I think Kristen Ashley is a gamer.

I'm addicted too! I put the book down at midnight and somehow I had my Kindle in my hand at 2am wide awake and wanting more!

*sigh* Yeah, I so believe in that lightning strike too. And that one between Hank & Roxie was a doozy! ;) It's fabulous that he loves every single thing that makes her Roxie. And he so totally does. Especially the stubborn part since that leads to the convincing. ;)

Yep, I'm a total Hank fangirl! I still reserve the right to change my mind but he's my favorite from the Hot Boy Brigade. :) And yes, he would make a great werewolf ALPHA! Each of them would be great having fur or fangs. Truly!

Roxie's reaction to Dawn was hysterical. I was laughing out loud. That girl is one class A bitch! To give Roxie a once over and then smirk! Whatever!

Roxie's mental battle had me shedding a tear or two - definitely wanted to hug her. I think the saying "you can't help who you fall in love with" applies here. And she couldn't help that she opened her heart to the wrong guy. BUT she 'started living' the day she met Hank. ;)

This book really does have a different feel to it - I still can't quite put my finger on it. But it's really my favorite so far. Maybe it's because of the focus on the guys - all the dads getting their two-cents in. Even Marcus showing his 'good' side. Do you think that's it?

Oh Diablo...that cracked me up. "better known as losing 5 hours of my life" or something like that. I knew the game sounded familiar but of course, I couldn't remember where I'd heard of it until you asked. YES! I totally remember Anna and Cody playing it. :) Oh, and Brody really makes me giggle...he soooo doesn't belong with the Hot Boys. *ha*

I just read the chapter heading, Denver Men are Men. hahaha That's what I think too! Not that I've sampled Denver men. I've spectated. I laughed so hard at the huanted house corn field place. Oh my goodness, to pair Indy and Roxie together. It was so funny. I want to read it again.

Yep, Denver Men are Men! I laughed over that one. I really dig the chapter headings in these books...I don't always pay attention to chapter headings in books, but these ROCK...naturally! The corn maze was awesome. I could just see Indy and Roxie running and bumping into things and screaming their heads off. It was the modified brawl. *haha*

I finished it! First off, when are we reading Renegade? Hmm? End of May? I have 2.5 books lined up before I can hit the next Rock Chick

I think this is my favorite one even though the first book is also my favorite. I love Roxie's mix of attitude and kindness. I'm not sure about all this gray they talk about in the book, good people doing bad things. What do you think about this? I love Daisy and appreciate Marcus and the rest of the lovable bad guys, but drug runners and possible murderers are mixing with cops and cop girlfriends. Do you think that story line is going to get serious?

What about Luke? So far he's my favorite unexplored side character. I want him bad. hehe. I'm happy to jump into the land of Vance though. Who was the standout side character for you? Kristen Ashley really knows how to create characters. And she knows how to make me laugh. My favorite funny scene had to be the haunted house/cornfield.  

I really rooted for Hank and Roxie, even more than Lee and Indy and Jet and Eddie. What did you love most? 

End of May is EXCELLENT! I really want to read Renegade NOW but I have other books I have to read first as well. And I can't wait to chat about Surrender. ;)

I was hoping you'd finish today! I finished too! How could I not... I couldn't put it down! Seriously, I didn't want to take the kids to school. *ha* This is totally my favorite even though they're all my favorites. *ha*  Roxie is one awesome chick! Hank was right on when he told Roxie she knew Indy because they're so much alike. And they are - but then different. I like the gray story line because I believe there are people who see the world in black and white - right and wrong. And there are sooo totally shades of gray. Good people do sometimes make bad decisions...doesn't make them bad people. Just human. Roxie, I'm not so sure she's gray. I don't think Daisy is either. Now Marcus...he's gray, right? He's a good, kind and caring person when it comes to Daisy. He was even kind towards Roxie. Yes he does do bad things...but does that make him ALL bad? I don't know. See? Gray. *haha* I'm intrigued to see where all this goes.

Yeah, Luke is definitely swoon-worthy. I can't wait for his story. What kind of girl is going to tame this man of so few words? I love that Roxie hugged him. Honestly, I'd say I'd be hugging them all but then again, I'd probably just stand, stare and blush like mad! I don't know who the ONE standout is for me...I loved Luke. I enjoyed Vance screwing with Hank. I adore Daisy. Annette was pretty dang funny too. Tex was magnificent. Malcolm stole his one major scene. And Roxie's parents sent me into fits of laughter. 

I think my favorite scene is the one in the castle...you know the one. It was tense but had moments of humor and swoon - if I can say that Roxie's words were swoon-worthy?? I really, really rooted for Roxie and Hank too. Maybe it was that lightning strike. ;) 

So I think I figured out why I like Hank's brand of Alpha so much - he's a sweet-talking Alpha. He's telling Roxie what to do in such a way it doesn't seem like he's being bossy - well, sometimes.

I didn't want to put it down either. I don't think I won any mom awards today. Nope. 

I love the chapter headings too. I either like them like this, a line from the chapter, or when they're witty. I'm not a fan of cryptic or poetic because then I'm thinking about what that means instead of falling into the story.

As far as the vibe goes, the mothering coming from the men changed things up. There was a lot more swearing. Hank's form of bossiness was the good stuff. My freaking heart fluttered. But there was also a difference in the narration style. It starts with Roxie telling us how much trouble she's in physically because she's cuffed to a sink, but emotionally because of Hank Nightengale. Then here and there she jumps back into narration mode in the story, like "I didn't know that at the time..." sort of thing. It made me feel like we were having a coffee and she was sharing her story. 

The only thing missing from this awesome buddy read is driving the streets of Golden, CO with you looking for a coffee shop perfect for us to sit for hours and fangril over this book!

Sweet-talking, yeah. Here's why I like Hank's brand of Alpha, he's a giver. hahahehehoho.

If this book were a movie, I wouldn't be able to stay in my seat in the castle scene. 

I don't know if Marcus is gray. Eddie doesn't think so, right? Hank sees his world differently after falling for Roxie. Darius would say there wasn't a gray thing about his life since he took over for his criminal father. It's all a mess! 

Roxie's parents! Crazy town for sure. They are just like Tex. Annette is hilarious. I love that she wants to be a stripper and will let Daisy do her hair. 

Yeah, he's a giver alright...hehe He does a lot of giving in his convincing. ;)

So you think Roxie changed Hank's world view? Hmm...maybe. I think Darius muddies the waters. Oh, and Lee too. Both Eddie and Hank know Lee doesn't always play by the rules and they use his 'skills' when they need them...

You know you said that I probably had lots of Eddie quotes when we were reading RCR...Hank blew him away! Completely...the things that come out of Hank's mouth make me melt and my toes curl. Seriously! *sigh*


8 comments:

  1. YES! This was my favorite Rock Chick book until I got to . . . wait for it . . . RC Revenge, which is . . . wait for it AGAIN . . . LUKE'S book! You don't know how happy it makes me that both of you are already curious about him. I think you'll really like Vance and Jules too (RC #4). As for this one . . . Hank and Roxie . . . *swoons* LOVE them. Love his whiskey eyes, love the eye-lock and handhold, love Tex<-----I got teared-up.

    I love re-living these vicariously through you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *mega-sigh* I can't read your review, Brandee, because yesterday, I one-clicked book 2 and book 3 in the series... I loved the first one very much, so thank you for the introduction! I'm really happy both you and Robyn loved it, though. I can't wait for my exams to be over - I'm gonna read and read and read ;)
    I hope the end of the school-year is going well both for your kids and you - and that the last band competitions will be great!
    *BIG HUGS*

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! I really loved Hank, he was my favorite until Vance. Then Luke. And then I settled down! I was shocked and amused at how these guys will hit on each other's women! I mean, Eddie hit on Indy, Mace hit on Jet, Luke hits on Roxie (and Jules!). It's a wonder they don't kill each other! All the stuff with Daisy and Tex was fantastic. And the haunted house/maze was one of the funniest things I'd ever read. And exactly how I act at haunted houses, which is why Eric won't let me carry a stun gun.
    Oh boy. I really want to re-read this series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a fun discussion! This is a series that has been on my radar for a while now, but just have not gotten around to it yet! These characters sound like ones I would love and I love when the storyline involves many shades of gray.

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any book that makes you stay up way past your bedtime, reading or otherwise, is always a great sign. Good job reviewing this ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just plotting this morning of more bets I could make with you because this one was such a huge success. Then I thought that's how people get hooked on gambling, one huge windfall and they're hooked. I saw my life go down a path of betting on John's little kid basketball games and Will's track events and then one day the slots. hehe.

    I think if we didn't get to fangirl to each other about this book, we would have driven our families insane! I tried explaining one of the girl brawls to my mom and sister and I kept laughing. They just had "help me" looks on their faces.

    Hank!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fun review style and sounds like a book and story that grabs your attention and you don't want to put it down. Like the idea of all of the music references

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't read your review/chat yet cause I am still waiting for my number to come up at the library. I think I am next! I am 2 of 2 so that sounds promising :D I now have # 4,#5 and # 7 in my grabby hands. Hope I can read # 3 and # 4 soon so I can hopefully get # 5 read before the librarians hunt me down. EEEppp!! Looking forward to Hank and his woman and all the sidekicks popping up!

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??