Saturday, May 3, 2014

**Sidekick Showcase ~ #40 ~ Mama Bear**


Sidekick Showcase (previously known as Sidekick Saturday) is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fits in this week's type

• Share a picture (if possible) and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• Put your link in the Linky thing and comment

**********************************
May's theme ~ In honor of Mother's Day we'll pick moms, grandmas, strong female mentors, etc.   

As y'all know, I'm reading the Rock Chick series and I've had the pleasure of reading about several fabulous moms. But one in particular Rock Chick 'mama' stands out because she's not a mama but she sure does want to be. And her mama bear tendencies stole me heart.

My choice of character: 
Daisy
from Kristen Ashley's Rock Chick Series

I met Daisy in Rock Chick Rescue and she made me take notice of her (as everyone does) with her Dolly Parton-esque looks...big hair, bigger boobs, and an even bigger personality. She likes glittery, sparkly things almost as much as she likes to take care of others and she was thrilled meeting Indy, Jet, and Ally...and now Roxie. (I'm currently reading Rock Chick Redemption) She likes having her girls around her and she'll do anything - and I mean anything - to protect them.

"You see what she's wearin'?" Daisy asked.Marcus sighed. "I see it.""No one fucks with a Smithie's girl. Not even you. Comprende?"-Daisy and Marcus, Rock Chick Rescue
"I can't have babies, Sugar. Marcus and me been tryin' for two years. But I got a motherin' instinct, believe you me, and this Mama Bear ain't lettin' her new cub get eaten by the big, bad lions, comprende?"-Daisy, Rock Chick Rescue 
"All right, tell Daisy all about it.""About what?" I asked."About whatever's making your eyes sad."Holy cow. Was I that obvious?"Nothing's making me sad," I lied.She looked at me for a while. The counter guy passed me my bag and then she said, "When you're ready to talk, I'm here, comprende?"-Roxie and Daisy, Rock Chick Redemption

14 comments:

  1. I love her already... Happy Mother's Day Brandee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will SO love her, Braine! ;) Happy Mother's Day to you!

      Delete
  2. I knew you were going to pick Daisy! She's so awesome and such a mama bear. I loved her from the second she entered the scene in Rock Chick Rescue. Funny thing, I respected Marcus after meeting Daisy, that's how cool she is. I've been running around like a crazy person today with John's crazy basketball game, but I'm just about to dive into RCR! I hope you're having a wonderful weekend, girly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *ha* I almost asked you if you were gonna pick her. ;) Yeah, I love her. I hope you're having a great day, Robyn!

      Delete
  3. I'm loving how she ends what she's saying with "Comprende". Your description of her being Dolly-Partonesque also just makes me picture her so well. What's hilarious about your post though is that they were just calling me a Momma Bear at work Friday. I manage a bunch of college-aged guys and I tend to get protective if anyone messes with them. I love your choice and those quotes! Have the best weekend :D Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is sooo awesome, Jaclyn! I love that you're a mama bear, too. :) I hope you're having a great weekend and that your weather is staying calm. :)

      Delete
  4. Heheee I like Daisy too. Nice choice. She is all big hair and big boobs and is Marcus's wife to boot, yet she still is her own person. We have Mother's Day on the 11th May here in Australia. Not sure if you guys get it same? I get a double whammy on Mother's day as it's my oldest sons 17th birthday. Eeeep where did all that time go??

    Daisy is definitely a Dolly Parton in training gal. :D

    I did feel sad for Daisy when she told the girls she couldn't have babies. She would be such a fun mummy.

    Have a great week!

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're reading and loving this series too, Michelle. Yep, Mother's Day is the 11th here as well. My oldest daughter's birthday is later this month and she'll be 16...where does the time go, indeed?!?

      Delete
  5. Do I even need to say anything? I mean you have to KNOW that I love everything about this. Comprende? *snickers*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daisy sounds pretty awesome, Brandee! I need to get this series and start reading, comprende? And you, woman, you keep pushing books my way ever single time I come to visit you, and my TBR is gonna topple over and strangle me one of these days, comprende? *clicks over to amazon with one-click-finger on the ready*

    Have a fantastic Sunday, Brandee. *BIG HUGS*

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yes, you definitely need to read this series, Lex. Comprende? And woman, you do the same darn thing to me! ;)

      *big hugs*

      Delete
  7. Perfect pick! Daisy kicks total butt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Andrea, for *twisting my arm* to read this series!!! ;)

      Delete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??