Saturday, May 24, 2014

**Sidekick Showcase ~ #43 ~ A Wise One**


Sidekick Showcase (previously known as Sidekick Saturday) is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fits in this week's type

• Share a picture (if possible) and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• Put your link in the Linky thing and comment

**********************************
May's theme ~ In honor of Mother's Day we'll pick moms, grandmas, strong female mentors, etc. 

My pick this week:
Julia Cohen
from Colleen Hoover's Slammed Series  

I'm choosing Julia because she's a mom that I admire - even if she is ficticious. Now, it's been awhile since I read Slammed, but I felt Julia did everything a mom could do to love and protect her kids. She did what she thought was best for them and the words of advice...oh, she's good with the advice. Julia, Layken, and Kel went through a lot. But I think Julia gave Layken and Kel the strength to carry on and the love, support, and coping skills they needed to be good, responsible people. She was the best mom she could be, and that's all a mom can do. :)

Some of Julia's sage advice:

Push your boundaries, that's what they're there for.

Don't take life to seriously. Punch it in the face when it needs a good hit. Laugh at it.

Question everything. Your love, your religion, your passions. If you don't have questions, you'll never find answers.

Be accepting. Of everything. People's differences, their similarities, their choices, their personalities. Sometimes it takes a variety to make a good collection. That same goes for people.

Keep an open mind; it's the only way new things get in.

9 comments:

  1. Julia is perfect, Brandee! She is one of the best ever book-moms in my opinion. I also truly love the quotes you've chosen. I've both read and listened to the whole Slammed series, and each time, Julia just makes me cry with her wisdom.

    I hope things are calming down for you and the kids now. I had my last class yesterday. I am writing two papers right now, (then I'll have 'only' three more) and I have one exam next week and one the week after. I can't wait for it to be over! I truly need a break.

    Have a wonderful weekend, my dear. *BIG HUGS*

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slammed is making me think back about that series. Yes Julie was a great mummy. I loved the vase of stars. Made me sniffle a lot . I loved that she was a good mum. So many mums are absolute shit mums in books. We do get the bad stick, lol! Nice to see a mum that loved, cared, stole our hearts, wasn't abusive ...didn't hate her kid, wasn't a drunk. They are kinda rare in books.

    Great choice. have a wonderful weekend :D

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the Julia's quotes that you included Brandee! She sounds like an awesome Mom and she definitely gave some good advice there! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GAH. That jar just about killed me!! I really need to reread those books, and actually review them this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Jessica, you should try the audiobook! The poetry is just amazing when the narrator performs them!

      Delete
  5. I still haven't read Slammed! Julia Cohen does sound like a good book mom, and we don't get enough of those!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noooooo, you are going to make me cry. Julia. So effing sad. She was great though. But when I think of her I want to ball!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I really love the last quote. I haven't read Slammed yet. I own it and it sits there neglected. Great pick, Brandee!! Is this a tearjerker?

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??