Saturday, May 31, 2014

**Sidekick Showcase ~ #44**



Sidekick Showcase (previously known as Sidekick Saturday) is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fits in this week's type

• Share a picture (if possible) and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• Put your link in the Linky thing and comment


**********************************
May's theme ~ In honor of Mother's Day we'll pick moms, grandmas, strong female mentors, etc. 

My pick this week:
Harmony Hudson
from Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers Series  

I'm picking Harmony for my last pick this month. It's been awhile since I read this series, but I know I admire Harmony. She is a good mom - smart, kind, loving, tough when she needs to be, fiercely protective, generous (she took on teaching Kaylee how to be a bean-sidhe), AND she bakes. Like all the time. ;) What more can you ask for in a mom?

"Can you hear me, hon?" she asked, and I nodded, so grateful for her presence that I didn't think to question how she'd known she was needed. "Your voice is fadin', but I can sing all night." She faced Marg then, and seemed to stand taller. "You're not leaving with her soul. Or the other one's either," she said, glancing at Sophie's soul where it still bobbed sluggishly in the air over her body.
-Harmony & Kaylee, pg. 204, My Soul to Take

"Go wake up van Winkle and see if you can get him to eat something. I'm making apple-cinnamon muffins."
-Harmony to Kaylee, pg. 27, My Soul to Keep

"Laissez faire parenting, Mom. We talked about this." He handed me a soda, and Harmony let me go to scowl at her son.
"That was before I spent two weeks nursing you through withdrawals from a substance more dangerous and addictive than anything the human world has ever even seen. I think that's earned me a little latitude, even if you are old enough to vote."
-Nash & Harmony, pg. 57-58, My Soul to Steal

8 comments:

  1. Oh yeah! Harmony really was the sweetest! That was a great choice Brandee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww yay for great moms in books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pick, Brandee! I already have this series on my shelf and, trust me, I can't wait to have a bit of time for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this series. Harmony Hudson sounds like a great mom, very mama lion, plus she bakes. It's weird, but I like that trait in characters, like I love that Mercy Thompson bakes when she's working through stuff. I think Kate Daniels could use a baking habit with how intense her life is.

    I hope you all had a great day. Since the games were on base, Will got to climb through four different military tanks. He was so happy! He even put on the headset and called out commands from one of his movies. The guys loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the first book 3 books/novella & totally loved it! I need to ctch up with this series... as soon as I get my YA groove back :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been so interested in this series since I first saw a review for one of them. I love learning more about Harmony. The baking quote is the one I love the most. She sounds like an amazing mother. I love how protective she is and her sass. I hope you are having the best weekend! Thanks so much for sharing her with us :D Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Harmony is an awesome pick, Brandee, she's a real mom, and not only to her own two sons, either :) I hope you've had a great weekend, my dear! *BIG HUGS*

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Brandee, I have yet to finish this series off. But Harmony is a wonderful choice. I try to bake, heheheee but scones come out like rocks. Haven't mastered them yet. I can cook but my baking kinda suckeths :D Hope you are still enjouing your weekend, mine has finished, kids back to school this morning :D

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??