Saturday, January 4, 2014

**Sidekick Showcase #26 ~ Party Time**


Sidekick Showcase (previously known as Sidekick Saturday) is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fits in this week's type

• Share a picture (if possible) and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• Put your link in the Linky thing and comment


**********************************
For this first week of 2014, Jaclyn has chosen Party Animal as the theme to ring in the new year!

My pick is
Dorian, King of the Oak Land
from Richelle Mead's Dark Swan Series


Ah, it's good to be King! And life is a party! That seems to be King Dorian's approach to everything in life. I so love this series. The banter between Eugenie and Dorian is sexy and snarky, and seems to be a trademark of Ms. Mead's, in my opinion. I was always Team Dorian...who doesn't love a sexy king with a penchant for kink, who is gorgeous, witty and loves a good dinner party?!?

"Why all these people?" I murmured to Volusian. "Is he having a party?"

"Dorian is a social king. He likes keeping people around, most likely so he can mock them. He keeps a full court and regularly invites his nobles to dine here."
-Eugenie & Volusian, Storm Born

"If I offered my hand again, I don't suppose you'd take it?"

"Not a chance. I don't want to give them any ideas."
"oh. Well, I'm afraid it's too late for that, once they see where we're going."
I cut him a warning look. "Where are we going?"
"Why, to the most private of places. My bedroom, of course."
- Dorian & Eugenie, Storm Born

"My dear Odile, I assure you I am always serious --well, no, actually that's a lie. Most of the time I'm not. But this time I happen to be. So make yourself comfortable."

-Dorian to Eugenie, Storm Born

"Now get some clothes on before the women around here are driven into a frenzy."

He gave me a mournful look. "I'm afraid that will happen with or without clothes, my dear."
-Eugenie & Dorian, Iron Crowned

“Wine's terrible for babies." Dorian swept into the sitting room to join me, elegantly arranging himself on a love seat that displayed his purple velvet robes to best effect. 
"Well of course it is. I'd never dream of giving wine to an infant! What do you take me for, a barbarian? But for you... well, it might go a long way to make you a little less jumpy. You've been positively unbearable to live around. 
"I can't have it either. It affects the babies in utero.” 

“Nonsense,” he said, tossing his long auburn hair over one shoulder. Life would be easier if he wasn’t so damned good-looking. “Why, my mother drank wine every day, and I turned out just fine.”
“I think you’re proving my point for me,” I said dryly”

-Eugenie & Dorian, Shadow Heir

12 comments:

  1. Haha! That's such a great topic. Dorian sounds like a blast. If I did this, i would probably choose Magnus Bane from The Mortal Instruments.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dorian is a great character, Andrea! You'd love him! :) Magnus would make a great choice, as well.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, how come I didn't think of Dorian? He is like made for this week's theme :) Great choice, Brandee - Dorian is always the heart of the party, and he has a knack for making everyone else want to party, too.

    Enjoy the snow and the silence, Brandee. *hugs*

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is kinda awesome, isn't he, Lexxie?!? I just love, love him. *sigh*

      I did enjoy the snow and silence. And tomorrow it'll be even more quiet. *sniff*

      *HUGS*

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this series yet, though I know I've put it on my list, but your pick is a great one. Andrea chose Bane, that really makes a lot of sense too and I have read that one, so why didn't I think of that? LOL.

    I LOVE these quotes. The "My dear Odile, I assure you I am always serious --well, no, actually that's a lie. Most of the time I'm not. But this time I happen to be. So make yourself comfortable." -> had me giggling a lot.

    Ya'll have snow right now? We are just cold in Texas but no winter weather. I hope you are having a great weekend!! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jaclyn, you'll love this series. I, of course, got into it when I was reading VA and jumped into all things Richelle Mead. It's every bit as good as her Georgina series and VA, too. I'm glad you enjoyed the quotes. Dorian has some good ones. ;)

      Yep, we have snow. It's stopped now but it did snow all weekend. It's awesome. :) I hope y'all have warmed up and stayed dry. Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. The Iron Crowned quote is so cocky I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dorian is my favorite character from this series. I loved him the second he opened his mouth to say something hugely inappropriate. He is perfect for party animal. PERFECT! We both hit up Richelle Mead for this challenge. I hope you're having a great weekend, Brandee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine, too, Robyn. And me, too! He's always ready with something inappropriate, isn't he?? God I love him!

      Enjoy the rest of your week, girl!

      Delete
  6. I'm going to have to get started on the Dark Swan series. Dorian sounds like a lot of fun :) Hope you have a great week Brandee!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's a good one, Traci! You'll love it!

      Hope you're enjoying your week!

      Delete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??