Thursday, March 12, 2015

Beyond the Books ~ Other Hobbies


Welcome to Beyond the Books. This post was inspired by Lexxie @Unconventional BookviewsUp Close and (Un)conventional, who was inspired by Cuddlebuggery. It's meant to be a way for y'all to get to know me better on a personal level - Beyond the Books. ;)


*~*~*

Quick update: I hadn't updated my grandma's health status lately, so I thought I would. She's recovered well from her mastectomy and has been receiving chemo treatments every 3 weeks. She's also on a daily chemo pill. She's doing very well, honestly. She's in good spirits, has more energy than I'd expect - baking bread and cleaning out things. And she hasn't lost any hair and has only lost a few pounds. She has an appointment with her oncologist in April, which I hope to be able to attend with her, to check her markers and find out how much longer she'll have to continue treatment. I'll keep y'all posted.




*************

One of my other hobbies (what? I have other hobbies besides reading?!?) is scrapbooking. I started scrapbooking when my oldest was born - that was before it was the craze and you can tell the difference when you look at that first album. Now I have scrapbooks of all my children, as well as family albums and albums dedicated to those book-inspired vacations my Hubs and I take. :)

A group of friends and I do scrapbooking getaways a few times a year. We haven't done one in awhile but this weekend, I'm headed on a girls getaway to spend some time getting caught up. (don't worry, I'm taking my kindle too!) 

I thought I'd share a few photos of my craft room and a few samples from album or two.


My craft room...by the way, this is just after getting it set 
up so it's neat. It's not always so tidy. ;)



Getting things ready to go...




From my older daughter's scrapbook when she and her sister 
were much younger. ;)




Again, from my older daughter's scrapbook...




From my older daughter's school album - this is from when she used to be on swim team. 



In getting ready, I've decided to try to get my older daughter's school album up-to-date. I laid out all the photos in groups according to activity. She definitely has a theme going. Can you guess what it is? I told her I was going to do a cover page that reads "Eat, Sleep, Breath Band". 

So what other hobbies do y'all have? 


10 comments:

  1. First of all, let me be just say how happy I am for your grandmother. I'm sure she'll continue to get better and grow stronger - it sounds as if she's a fighter! Also, you're very good at scrapbooking and I completely love the pages shown in this post!!! Great job <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go granny!


    Beautiful scrapbooks, Brandee. I'm sure they'll love it down the road. I could totally get into it, I don't have the space to stack the supplies at though. Maybe down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your grandma is in good spirit and I agree with Ramona, she does sound like a fighter and that is great! Sending lots of love and positive vibes her way. <3 x As for scrapbooking, I LOVE that!!!! I used to do lots of this a few years ago and you're just making me want to do that all over again! Nice work girl, keep that up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's good news about your grandma! I hope she keeps doing well! If she's baking bread and cleaning things it sounds like she's doing pretty good.

    My mom gave scrabooking a try, but it wasn't really for her and she stopped eventually. It must be nice to have all those pictures bundled in a book and a great creative outlet to make those books. It looks like a fun hobby. Your craft room looks really neat and tidy in that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's such great about your grandma doing so well, but I am sorry she has to go through all that. I love your scrapbooks-I wish I had an ounce of that kind of creativity! As far as a hobby-reading, reading and more reading! Oh and writing reviews of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Lorna. She told me this week that she felt lucky to have lived as long as she has and be healthy. :) I've always been a big reader but when I had my oldest, I just decided making scrapbooks would be fun. I'm terribly behind since I began blogging. Reading takes up most of my free time. But I do enjoy being crafty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is doing so much better than I expected her to be, Lola. She has a good attitude about it all and I think that makes a big difference.


    I love my craft room. :) And I am happy I have the chance to feed my crafty side too. My kids really enjoy having the books to sit and flip through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much, Silvia. She really is doing well and she is a fighter. :) She has a really great attitude about it all and I think that's a big part of how well she's doing. I'm glad you like my scrapbooks. I'm terribly behind since reading takes up so much of my free time - but it is so much fun. And I know it'll help my memory of things as I get older. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Braine! On both counts! I love that scrapbooking feeds a part of me that reading doesn't. But I don't make time for it as much as I should. :) I hope you get to try it. It's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Ramona. She really is a fighter and I'm so happy she's doing so well. I'm glad you like my scrapbooking. It's something that I really enjoy doing but don't spend nearly enough time at. :) I feel like it'll help me remember my kids' younger years better as I get older. *ha* And they enjoy looking at them, too.

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??