Saturday, March 28, 2015

My TBR List Review ~ Rush ~ Nyrae Dawn


Rush
Rush
Release Date: May 6, 2014
Genre: New Adult, M/M Romance
Source: I purchased a paperback from Nyrae @The Emerald City Author Event last June
Rating: 4.5 Bookworms
Goodreads

SynopsisFor the love of the game.

Brandon Chase has always defined himself by one thing: football. Tough and athletic, he is a great college player who enjoys the hard hits and the sweaty grind of the gridiron. But when Brandon is injured, only one person can help him get back on track-a forbidden love he's desperately tried to put behind him.

Alec Andrews has never quite forgiven Brandon for walking away when their friendship turned into something more. But he can't deny help to one of his closest friends. As the two spend the long, hot summer working together, their old attraction comes flooding back.

Now as Alec thinks about coming out to his conservative family and Brandon considers revealing he's a gay football player, the two men must be strong to fight for a love that could be the greatest rush of their lives.


"Love always wins"

To all y'all who voted for Rush, thanks for making me ugly cry! ;) Seriously though, this was a roller coaster ride of emotions. And an incredible story.

I don't want to get on a soapbox so I'll just say this one thing -- we all should be allowed to love whoever we love without fear of repercussions, without fear of losing our families -- just WITHOUT.FEAR. Okay, rant over.

Alec and Brandon first meet the summer they are 14 and 15. At first, their friendship is mostly based on football. But the next summer, their friendship evolves into something more. Even though they fear there's something wrong with them. Even though they fear it's wrong. Even though they fear losing everything. Eventually, Brandon walks away from what's between them because he can't lose the only thing he believes he's good at -- football. Following an injury that could have killed him, Brandon goes back to Virginia -- back to Alex -- to try to become the guy who deserves Alec.

Witnessing these guys work their way back to one another was beautiful and inspiring...when they were alone. Seeing them have to hide their feelings for one another from everyone was heartbreaking. Wrestling with the decision to come out -- at least to their parents, was tough to see. I couldn't imagine being so fearful that your parents would be disappointed or might even disown you for being who you are. I wasn't particularly impressed with either guys' parents but one set made me proud while the other made me cringe. And on top of struggling with the decision to come out to their families, they also fought over Brandon's unwillingness to out himself to his team.

Dawn did a phenomenal job of portraying a couple facing all the difficulties of navigating accepting their sexual orientation and all the issues that come along with it. And, in my opinion, she did it realistically. I liked the parallels Dawn drew in Brandon's feelings of being trapped by football and being trapped by his sexuality. It made me sad that Alec thought he could marry a girl and pretend to be normalBrandon and Alec were both very brave, even though they didn't believe it of themselves. Rush is a love story and it shouldn't matter that the MCs are both male. This couple goes through experiences any other couple does, and more. I'm thrilled to have traveled alongside them as they fought for the right to love who they loved and to live without fear.



10 comments:

  1. ... and being accepted afterward : I have a friend who's 40+ and is still wary about telling people he's gay. Fortunately, he's in love and happy ! Great review, Brandee :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review and glad you enjoyed it, even if it did cause an ugly cry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sarah. I felt like it was going to be a great read but it was even better than I thought - even with the ugly cry. Or maybe because of it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Acceptance was very important bot Alec and Brandon. I'm glad your friend is in love and happy even if he isn't all that comfortable sharing that he's gay. It really does break my heart though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't vote for this one, but I am so glad you loved it. And YAY for your rant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard good things about this. I'm so glad about the new rush of diversity in the books published lately. It was about time... Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really glad you enjoyed this. I want to read it, but I need to be in the right place first. I think it will be very emotional for me because my family is so not accepting and my brother has had to go through so much. It makes me so angry that we live in a world where people are allowed to treat others so badly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will stir your emotions, Berls, particularly since it's so personal for you. It made me angry and sad...but at the same time, it's uplifting. Brandon and Alec are great guys and make a great couple. :) I'm so very glad I read this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm happy about the diversity movement as well, Ramona. And this book is very well done. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you vote for Collide? I'm going to read it this month, I think. It seems to be calling me. *ha* I think the thing that bothered me most was the worry these guys had over how their parents were going to react...I can't understand any parent not loving their child - no matter what.

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??